What I have been up to

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Moebius

What I have been up to

Post by Moebius »

You may remember some of my posts last summer/fall with my FZ-20. Spring is here again and hope to post more. However, I have made a few changes:

1) After much research (thank you rjlittlefield for the suggestions), I have purchased a Canon 30d, Sigma 150mm, external flash, Kenko extension tubes, and bracket/Sigma 500 flash. Once I get this monstrosity figured out, I hope to post comparison shots between the FZ-20 and the 30d to help illustrate perceived DOF and noise between the two.

I have much of the usage of the camera settings understood as best I can through reading, however I am at a loss how to best work this external flash. If anyone can lend advice as to what settings to use for this external flash, I would appreciate it.

2) I have spent the past few weeks building a ~800 sq. ft. butterfly garden complete with over 60 species of shrubs/annuals/perennials. I am also putting in a simple (for now) pond to act as a water source for all the little beasties that come and visit. Nothing grows slower as when you are watching it grow. I plan to obtain nice photos of each flower as well as the visitors.

3) You may remember last year about my proposed trip to Peru for a fishing/photo expedition. I will be bringing both the FZ-20 and the 30d. I am undecided about what other lens to bring (yes, can only afford one right now...and not even right now....garden was expensive). I received good suggestions, but need some of the smoke to clear first before making a decision. This trip is coming up at the end of July. Hope to bring back plenty of photos to share. I was warned by Tom to not bring along good digital photo equipment...but c'mon, how can I not? Don't have access to Film SLR's nor the experience to use them effectively.

I have been so busy with these things that I haven't had time to take any pics yet. Hope to soon.

Ken Nelson (Moebius)