The face of death!

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

The face of death!

Post by Charles Krebs »

A bit of hyperbole it the subject header? But come on... would you have looked if I just called it "mosquito pupa? :wink: :lol:

Actually, consider this.....

-Annually, mosquito-borne diseases kill more people worldwide than any other single factor. :(

-The World Health Organization estimates that 300-500 million cases of malaria occur each year, resulting in 1-3 million deaths. :(

This pupa was photographed in a small "tank" made from a slide and cover slip glued together with a small spacer between. The "microscope" was a strange thing that I got on ebay last year, which I have set up horizontally so I can photograph small aquatic creatures in a more "natural" orientation. I used a 10X Nikon CF Plan objective on extension tubes attached directly to the Canon 10D body. This was mounted to the microscope instead of the normal nose-piece and head. The large image is a combination from a stack of 10 using HF. Lighting was an electronic flash unit positioned behind the slide.
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

An incredibly good image Charlie, you continue to astonish me.
Kenv
Ken

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

KenV :D :D :D
It's great to have you back!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

An interesting bit of information there Charlie, I never would have guessed such a thing. Makes my little ameba take a back seat when it comes to taking out populations. Extreamly good images you have here. I may have to do a segment on my web page about these critters, although I am currently covering the lotic ecosystems, they may apply somewhere along the line. Thanks for the post Charlie, good presentation. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... I knew this subject header would draw you in.. :wink: :wink:
Don't worry, your little amoebae cause the world plenty of grief too. And these gals are just the vectors, it's the little microorganisms that do the dirty work.