Vorticella stalk and spasmoneme

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Vorticella stalk and spasmoneme

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here is the stalk of a vorticella clearly showing the contractive element, the spasmoneme, inside. You also get a pretty good look at the point where it is attached to some detritus. I have not been able to determine what the function of the small "dots" you see along the spasmoneme. But I did find some interesting info about this mechanism:
The retraction of the stalk of Vorticella (and of other ciliates of this type: peritrich ciliates) is caused not by the sliding action of a motor protein but by a spring that operates according to a simple mechanism: the entropic collapse of polymeric filaments.

Just as muscles magnify forces and movements by a geometrical hierarchy, these unusual mechanochemical engines use a similar principle: small changes in a protein subunit are amplified by the linear arrangement of proteins in filaments and bundles.

...biological springs are active mechanochemical devices that store the energy of conformation of proteins in certain chemical bonds that act as latches. In the absence of an external force, the potential energy is released and converted into mechanical movement when the chemical bonds are broken.

When exposed to calcium ions, but to no external energy source, the spasmoneme contracts in a few milliseconds to 40 percent of its length at velocities approaching 8 centimeters per second.

In terms of specific power per unit mass, the spasmoneme is among the most powerful biological engines.
----------- L. Mahadevan and P. Matsudaira: Motility powered by supramolecular springs and ratchets. (Science 7 Apr 00 288:95) QY: P. Matsudaira [matsu@wi.mit.edu

100X objective, 2.5X photo-eyepiece. Canon 350D. Circular-oblique lighting.

Gerd

Post by Gerd »

absolutely fantastic shot, Charlie ! And lot of very interesting
background knowledge ! Thank you !
Gerd

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Gerd said:
absolutely fantastic shot, Charlie ! And lot of very interesting
background knowledge ! Thank you !
Gerd
Ditto Charlie. :D This is absolutely awesome. A biological engine!! The explaination of this is equally awesome and mind boggling. Thanks! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

micron

Post by micron »

I agree an amazing image! The dots show up beautifully. Mickinnon refers to these dots as granules, possibly “mitochondria” - he does not explain their function. However if they are mitochondria then they could sever as sites for the production of the chemical energy used to drive the contraction of the contractile element ("spasmoneme"?).

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Micron:
("spasmoneme"?).
Yeah me too! :lol: Not implying that it is incorrect terminology but just that it is the first time I have ever encountered it. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken...
The contraction is caused by the "spasmoneme" (sp), the wavy filament that is seen in the interior of the peduncle. It was denominated "myoneme" (muscular filament), before it had been discovered that the chemical system that administers the contraction of the spasmoneme is different from which a true muscular fiber uses.
quote is from an article by Walter Dioni
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... cella.html

Dembowski

Post by Dembowski »

:shock: Whooooa!

I usually sit back and quietly enjoy the view your folks provide, but every once in a while I can’t do the “quietly” part. This is one of those times. This is a truly amazing shot. I’ve got to crank up my 100x objective the next time I have a Vorticella.

My goodness!
Bill Dembowski
"It's alive .... It's alive !!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hm...interesting. Similar to the term, "contractile vacuole," which is no longer used either because there is no evidence of contraction of the vesicle. It is now a wev (water expelling vesicle). Thanks for the link Charlie. Walter :?: ...I should have known :-k . He litterly blew me away with the Aeolosomas information. Thanks to you too Walter. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy