Albino and normal morph of Western Diamondback Rattler

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Albino and normal morph of Western Diamondback Rattler

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

To be frank, I botched this shot, though I still think it is interesting.

These are an albino and a normal-colored Western Diamondback Rattlesnake together. When they approached closely, I thought I had quite an opportunity! Unfortunately, I overexposed the original shot (though not fatally) and shot a moment too late. I'd have preferred to shoot a couple of seconds earlier, before the colored snake moved in front of the albino.

I was able to cure the overexposure in Photoshop without too much loss, but Photoshop doesn't have a "set shutter to retroactively fire three seconds earlier" setting (I looked for it! :) ). I still think the comparison is interesting, and hopefully will get a second chance at this some day!

I also think I left too much empty space in front of the snakes, though that can be cured by cropping to pano format (fortunately, I'm not a total purist about getting it right in-camera and hang post-processing!).

Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes
Crotalus atrox
90mm TSE with closeup diopter
1/250th second @ f/18
ISO 100
flash as main light
+1 2/3 flash exposure compensation (too much!)
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I like it. Looks like the albino is giving the darker one a kiss :lol: Not that bad on the front spacing, gives them room to crawl into, and a good recovery on the whites, they do not look bad at all.

One thing - I wished you had moved that little twig that is in front of them - it is distracting :lol:

Nice Job Mike B.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Erland

Post by Erland »

Another snake, great I like your pictures of these animals. I can just imagine how good it would be if the snakes were facing each other. Still with the nose of the normal coloured snake, sneaking out of focus, it still is a very lovely picture.
I would love to have a photo-oppertunity like yours nearby, really great subjects.

best wishes
Erland