Flatids

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Flatids

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some of you may remember here a while back, I posted images of Flatidbug nymphs. While examining some of the lilac shrubs in the backyard, I noticed white splotches on the underside of the leaves. Bringing them inside for a closer examination, it revealed what may be the nymphs in what you might say is a first instar.

For those who did not see the orignial post of the Flatid Nymphs, an inset in the first image provides a look at what I am refering to.

Flatid Nypmph (Inset) and First Instars?
Sony DSC W5 @ 5mgp
1/8 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR @ 10X
Halogen lighting with blue diffuser

Sony DSC W5 @ 5mgp
1/6 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Meiji EMZ-13TR @ 20X
Halogen lighting with blue diffuser
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Very Impressive Macro, detail is crystal sharp. :D
Always look at Nature with wide eyes.
Rick Cowen
Canon 5D, Canon 70-300 IS USM.Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, Sigma 170-500. A set of Kenko tubes. Check out my Gallery here!

http://www.pbase.com/1bald_eagle/macro

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Great images Ken. Wonder what is on those leaves in my yard :wink:
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Rick and Sue. :D There were a few scattered pearlecent eggs here and there on the underside of the leaves also. I believe that these flattened orbs are the result of the hatch and this is how they winter over till spring. As to actually being flatids, this is only an assumption, because there are numerous flatids over these shrubs during the spring.

During the winter there are a lot of insects that are dormant, others have completed their life cycle and have left only eggs and larvae to carry on. The underside of leaves, bark, and the stems of weeds such as Goldenrod are winter harbors for some of these eggs and larvae or so it seems. Anyway I have realized that they are some good places to search for interesting subjects. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thats fascinating Ken.
Kenv
Ken

Lost in London

Post by Lost in London »

Nice observation - you could easily assume they were some kind of fungus, even on closer inspection. Never ceases to amaze me what is creeping around in peoples gardens

Great shots!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Lost in London wrote:
Nice observation - you could easily assume they were some kind of fungus, even on closer inspection. Never ceases to amaze me what is creeping around in peoples gardens
Thanks for the commet :D I am finding out that there are a lot of things out there to photograph, it is just that you have to think a little bit differently as to where to look. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have pulled this out of the archives to make a correction. I was assuming that these were Flatids. I was wrong. :( With the help of the nice folks on www.bugguide.net, we have found that these are actually Citrus Whitefly nymphs. Just thought some of you might like to know. Thanks :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks Ken for the update. I still have not found anything on my leaves, but then again, I really do not have that many leaves in my yard right now :roll:
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well spring is just around the corner Sue, well at least for us down here, I don't know about up there or down under. :-k I was really glad to find out what these were though. They have been a curiosity to me for some time. Since there were so many Flatids around here I just assumed that was what they were. Now I will be on the hunt for Whiteflies soon. :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

MacroMike
Site Admin

Post by MacroMike »

Hello Ken.

Amazing exposure with lots of wonderful texture and sharp detail. Interesting information as well.

Sue wrote:
I still have not found anything on my leaves, but then again, I really do not have that many leaves in my yard right now.
But. we know you have all kinds of stuff growing inside the house. LOL.
Michael Keniston
Site Administrator
Tampa, FL
www.aclosereyeview.com
m_keniston@aclosereyeview.com

"The possession of a camera can inspire something akin to lust and like all credible forms of lust, it can not be satisfied."

Susan Sontag, On Photography (1977)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

MacroMike wrote:Hello Ken.

Amazing exposure with lots of wonderful texture and sharp detail. Interesting information as well.

Sue wrote:
I still have not found anything on my leaves, but then again, I really do not have that many leaves in my yard right now.
But. we know you have all kinds of stuff growing inside the house. LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator