Changing appearances

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

nephiliim

Changing appearances

Post by nephiliim »

Hey folks,

Found this at the pond today. Took it home for my collection :D
I believe it is a dragonfly skin, it's about 6 cm long head to tail.
Personally I like the translucence of the eyes and the clear look at that remarkable retractable mandible.

Hope you like it to,

All the best,

Tom Burger
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

WOW! What an awesome find Tom. Good work.
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

This is a really great shot Tom. Nice background, good color, and really sharp. Don't know what the skin is but could be a dragon or damsel, not sure. Hey, some really nice work on this! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is beautiful! That dark blue background is just perfect with the white highlighting of the clear skin. Very nicely done.

Yes, it's a dragonfly.

Strictly speaking, that grasping mouthpart is a labium, not a mandible. It seems that in the dragonflies the various mouth parts have shifted responsibilities such that the mandibles have shrunk to essentially absent, while the labium has expanded from a minor manipulator into a vicious hinged grasping organ, tipped with labial palps that act more like a cross between claws and fangs.

Adding to the effectiveness, "The overlapping visual field of the large compound eyes is located precisely at the point of full extension of the labium. When a potential meal wanders into this field of view, the mouthparts shoot forward and immediately retract carrying the trapped prey to the mouth."

See Figure 15 on page 13 of http://salinella.bio.uottawa.ca/BIO3323 ... nat_04.pdf .

In my experience, to says that the prey "wanders" into range does not do justice to the dragonfly. When I've raised dragonfly nymphs, I have watched them track and stalk prey starting from several inches away. They're very effective predators.

Makes you really glad that they're a lot smaller than we are, doesn't it?

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.