Antelope Canyon, Page, AZ

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic. You may submit one (1) location per day and illustrate each location with up to four (4) images. Please, follow the image posting guidelines in place in all of the other forums and galleries.
piotr

Antelope Canyon, Page, AZ

Post by piotr »

I just returned from a trip to southern Utah and northern Arizona. I visited many beautiful places on my way, but this one was truly magical, even though lighting was not very good (it was a cloudy day.)

Piotr

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some marvelous photographs Piotr :D You captured the beauty of the canyon quite well. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gslaten

Post by gslaten »

Actually, I think they are nothing less than spectacular.

Regards,

Gary

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

OH BOY..now I cannot wait, well I will wait, but I sure hope I get out there next year.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Piotr, :D

Antelope Canyon is just one of many slot canyons that abound in southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Buckskin Gulch is another reasonably accessible slot canyon. Just beware, if you are going to visit these canyons during the summer, distant thunderstorms can cause flash flooding in the slot canyons. A few years back we had 5 tourists on a tour swept downstream to Lake Powell due to a thunderstorm 20 miles away. No survivors. :cry:

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, a small handful of local photographers, myself included, had free run of both upper and lower Antelope Canyon. All we had to do was open a wire gate in the fence, drive about a mile down a sand wash and we were there. No permits to buy, no fees to pay, nobody to hassle us as we made our photographs. We held this "secret" location pretty close. Fatefully, Michael Fatali "discovered" Antelope Canyon, and some of the other slot canyons, and began popularizing them through his photography. It has not been the same since. :cry:

Still and all, the slot canyons are magical to visit. It is awe inspiring to think that the beautiful abstract shapes of the canyon walls were created by eons of water and wind erosion. Truly a spiritual place to walk. :D

Best regards as always, my friend. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!