Bee face in profile, (concentrating on eye)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Bee face in profile, (concentrating on eye)

Post by Charles Krebs »

This is a good example of the type of image that I've been wanting to do for a long, long, time. Now, with digital cameras, a decent computer, and good software it's not too complicated to do.

3X objective, 2.5X photoeyepiece. Canon 10D. Fiber optic illuminator used with diffuser for lighting. Helicon Focus software, 50 image stack.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Charlie, that's incredible!
Graham

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

That's it, I need to get one of those fiber optic illuminators. That is an awesome image!
George

cassian

Post by cassian »

Amazing image! Just so much detail. cass

piotr

Post by piotr »

FABULOUS!!! Looks like SEM image, but with true colors. :-)
Piotr

Wim van Egmond

beeautiful

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Dear Charlie, thank you for your kind welcome!

I was looking for an emoticon that resembles a guppy at feeding time but this could also be used :shock: It is amazing what you can do with the digital camera, good sofware and all of that , combined with a very keen eye! (I don't mean the bee's) :D A truly great picture! Without the shallow depth of field the bee looks like a giant. The hairs on the botton left are feathered. Any idea if this has a purpose?

best regards,

Wim :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim...
The hairs on the botton left are feathered. Any idea if this has a purpose?
I noticed this as well when I put together this image. I've never seen it referenced, so I can only guess that it might be beneficial in holding pollen that comes in contact, as gathering pollen is part of their "mission". They do have special rakes and combs on their legs to collect pollen that becomes attached to their bodies.