Yeah, they're a bit showy, but the reception is awesome!

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Yeah, they're a bit showy, but the reception is awesome!

Post by Charles Krebs »

... I don't care if all the other bugs are staring... at least I don't have to pay those stupid cable bills every month! ... :roll:

I'm usually pretty good with insects, but I really don't know what this specimen is. They are very common here in the Pacific Northwest, about the size of a mosquito, and you can even find them in winter if there are a few "warm" days. Very weak flyers, but they obviously are well "tuned in" to something!

Top shot taken with Olympus 2X PlanF, bottom with Nikon 10X Plan. Lighting for both was "normal" darkfield. The very fine antenna elements caused a colorful diffraction of the light, more visible in the first image.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Charlie,

Beautiful images! I like very much the iridescent effect on the antennae. I admire your seamless transitions between macro and micro.

Perhaps this could be a Chironomid insect (a non-biting midge)? Like this one?
Piotr

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Hi Piotr,
I agree. It is most likely a member of the family Chironomidae (non-biting midge) but that's about as far as I can take it. Thanks for link. I've book-marked it. (Another great thing about this forum is the collection of very helpful links that I have accumulated thanks to references like yours)

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Charlie :D

Yup. 'Tis a chironomid fly. These guys are hard to idenstify down to genus and species. You gotta have a microscope :!: :shock: :D Chironomids are pretty important to trout production. I've read some studies on some lakes in Idaho where chironomid flies can make up to 30% to 50% of a trout's diet. I've caught 10# trout in the Colorado River above Lee's Ferry that had gorged themselves on midges and midge pupae. Cool :!: :shock:

Best regards as always, my friend :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Frez

Post by Frez »

Tremendous Charlie! I can't imagine having these on my head. :shock: They are so delicate and must relay so much information to the critter of the nature we can't begin to sense.

Well Well Done!
Frez

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

A great image of a Chironomid, indeed a midge. I am pretty sure that you have encountered their larvae in pond water, Charly! I'll see if I can post one if I have time.

Try and see if you can find the male of a mosquito. They have very weird antennae too!

Wim