Mosquito larva breathing tube

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Mosquito larva breathing tube

Post by Charles Krebs »

Normally I hang around the microscope group. But this was done with "photomacrography" gear rather than a microscope so here it is.

This is the breathing tube (like a snorkel) of a mosquito larva at the surface of the water. I made up an extremely small "tank" to hold the larva, and illuminated it from the rear with electronic flash. The lens was a Minolta Bellows Micro 12.5mm f2. The picture was taken with the aperture set to f4 using a Canon 10D.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Charles, this is a very very cool shot. Focusing must have been a nightmare, but the fine structure of the snorkel is very interesting.

Thanks for putting this one up.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Hey Charles, you got the breathing tube :D . Beautiful indeed and nice to see you posting in here.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Nice capture there charles. Can you try to shoot the mandibles of the larva of a dragonfly? Those are terrifying to see.
Sometimes smaller is better!
*nodge nodge :D*

Comments and advice always welcome
My little website