:: View topic - Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Chien

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants Reply with quote

D30, MP-E 65 f2.8 with 12mm extension tube at around 5x, lighted with two flashes, 1/250 sec. at f16. Setup on a tripod. Sharpened and resized. No cropping.

This is an old one that was taken in July 2002. It's one that I felt so lucky to encounter, but unfortunately, I have not seen such a scene since... I will, of course, keep searching.

What follow are the comments I had at the time... When I realized that there were flocks of aphids on a stem of grass yesterday, I had been trying to get a shot of an ant picking up a droplet from an aphid since. I spent quite a few hours and got about 8 shots of such yesterday, but not with the perspective that I wanted. Tonight when I got home from work, I set it up, but unfortunately the aphids were all facing far from the "right" direction to the camera, and I was not able to get any good shot. One of the aphid, next to the big one in this photo, left. This one, originally facing the camera, turned side-way just as it is shown. I was so happy, and could almost visualize this shot. A few minutes later, this ant came along and "drummed" the body of the aphid with its antennae, and this aphid raised its behind, and I pressed the shutter!!!
Steve West

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles,

Excellent shot. Sometimes the patience required is extremely frustrating, but eventually, it pays off.

Somehow, it doesn't look too apetizing Confused
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Great photograph there Charles and a very informative one too. I recently read an article on what you have captured. It seems that the ants actually take care of the aphids for that particular reason. The secretions from the aphids are loaded with glucose, I believe, anyway it is supposed to be sweet, so the ants and the aphids as you mentioned have a symbiotic relationship. Once again an excellent photograph with outstanding clarity and comp. Cool
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
nzmacro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your work is just amazing M8t. I saw a shot of an ant milking an aphid the other day, opened up the post and it was from so far back, you couldn't really see it.

This is amazing Charles. your entire ant series is something to see, just incredible work IMO. The sharp details and the ratio show us exactly what is going on in this shot. You just post as many of your old shots as you like M8t, they are extraordinary Charles. Always loved you work.

All the very best M8t, a pleasure to see you here my friend Very Happy

Danny.
S. Alden
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting behavior and great capture of the interactions. As the saying goes - " it pays to be patience" and it sure did with this image.
twebster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya' Charles Very Happy

This is a terrific image. Such wonderful behavior few get to see. That is why your image was chosen for the December/January Administrator's Appreciation image. Great job Exclamation Very Happy

Best regards as always, my friend Very Happy

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!
Ken Ramos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Congrats Charles, looks great on the cover. Excellent job!! Cool
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.
Charles Chien

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: THANK YOU!!! Reply with quote

Thank you, Tom and staff, for the great honor. And, thanks for you all of your support. Hopefully I will run into scenes like this one again! Wink

Have a great holiday season!!!

Sincerely,
Charles Chien
nzmacro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are more than welcome M8t. Its us who should be thanking you Charles. Your macro work is nothing short of superb !!!. Always so interesting and you always show excellent behaviour shots.

All the very best to you and your family over christmas my friend. Very Happy

Danny.
MikeBinOKlahoma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I'm going to have to try to get one like this in 2005. I hope I can come close to pulling it off this well! The DOF seems endless!

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)
S. Alden
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most deserving image for the pick. Beautifully done and gives me something to attempt..when the ants come back.
mstolting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this one (or one very closely resembling it by you) Charles. It's as fascinating and as impressive now as it was a few years ago! I sure hope I get some behavior shots that are half as well executed as is this one before I return to dust.
Mike Stolting
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: