Butterfly scale detail, grids and ribs

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Butterfly scale detail, grids and ribs

Post by Charles Krebs »

This is an image showing detail in individual butterfly wing scales. These scales are fairly translucent, so the actual structure becomes somewhat visible. You can see the network or "grids" of ribs that make up the scale. Sort of reminds me of a lightweight "honeycomb" aluminum panel that aircraft manufacturers use for stength with light weight.

(Unrelated side note... intersting optical illusion here. Notice how the diagonals of the picture seem to make it look as is the picture is slightly "skewed" in relation to the text, although everthing is squared. Or are my eyes getting wierd on me?) :shock:

Olympus 40X, 2.5X photo-eyepiece, Canon 10D. Multiple images combined with Helicon Focus for depth-of-field.

GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

Wow, fantastic shot!

acerola

Post by acerola »

I'm only shoot macro. But this is very interesting. My resolution usually gives me a couple of pixel from this type of subject.
Péter Ambruzs
Budapest, Hungary