Mickey Mouse of the rotifer world

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Mickey Mouse of the rotifer world

Post by Charles Krebs »

Here we have a Limnias rotifer. The pond from which I usually collect samples had abundant numbers of these last year, and it seems like there are plenty to be found this year as well. They are one of the most amazing little creatures I have seen under the microscope. The motion of their cilia is mesmerizing to watch. These rotifers certainly live up to the "wheel animalcule" moniker.

I photographed this specimen using brightfield and phase contrast, in both cases using a 40X objective and electronic flash. I find both vesions interesting, with the phase contrast working out much better than I had expected.

These rotifers build a "tube" dwelling. If you would like a more "overall" view, I posted this darkfield one a while back:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=1330

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Wow! Super images, Charlie!

Wim

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have yet to find one of these rotifers, maybe someday I will. These are some outstanding images as usual Charlie, great work. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... if they're around they are not too hard to find. The reddish-brown tubes are just barely visible with the slight magnification of reading glasses (and when I was younger than 40, probably without them :? ) They can be found under floating leaves such as duckweed or lillies.