Acineta (suctorian ciliate)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Acineta (suctorian ciliate)

Post by Charles Krebs »

Acineta is a suctorian ciliate. (Although there are no cilia in this stage. The larval stage does have cilia). At the end of each "arm" is a mouth, capable of sucking the cytoplasm from it's prey. The tip of each "arm" is slightly bulbous, as it contains the extrusomes used to catch it's victim. These are quite interesting, and I look forward to eventually finding one with captured prey. This one had attached itself to the surface of a large egg, that was in turn attached to a duckweed root.

63X objective, 2.5X photo-eyepiece, Canon 10D

Now for some serious conjecture! I happened to notice some striking similarities to another well known creature! What do you think? :shock:

I'm pretty sure those bulbous fingertips contain extrusomes! :roll:

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Very funny!

And I have seen these Suctorians in marine water too! so as in the cartoon the biological details are correct! :D

Wim

Dembowski

Post by Dembowski »

If you folks heard me laughing. I apologize. I was still grinning from having a look at Charlie's peritrich twins (which for some strange reason I found to be comical) when I saw Sponge Bob and almost fell off my chair. I'll try to behave myself in the future.
Bill Dembowski
"It's alive .... It's alive !!!!