A herd of seed shrimp (ostrocoda)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

A herd of seed shrimp (ostrocoda)

Post by Charles Krebs »

Or is it a gaggle?.... or flock?.... or school?.....
In any event, I have a small fish tank sitting outside, and lately I can take an eyedropper and easily suck up hundreds of these critters.

4X objective, 2.5X photo-eyepiece. Canon 10D. Rheinberg illumination with electronic flash.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well, I don't know what you would call a congregation them but they are cool to watch Charlie. What amazes me is that you got them all to stay still long enough for the shot, maybe shutter speed had something to do with that? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks Charlie :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... I made up a shallow well slide, and dropped in a high concentration of these seed shrimp. They are extremely active, but the very short flash duration (probably 1/10000 second or so) very effectively "stops" the motion. I took many shots as they scurried about, and then looked them over to find the one with the best "arrangement".

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks like you got the pick of the litter there Charlie :D , I have got to get the remote flash for my Sony's here soon. It isn't all that expensive but for some reason I keep putting it off. :? Anyway once again a very nice shot of the shrimp, great details, as usual :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.