Dahlia

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Dahlia

Post by gpmatthews »

These are dedicated to Danny, with whom I had a brief exchange of e-mails about dahlias a few months ago (check your mail, Danny).

The two images above were both taken using a Wild M8 microscope at different zoom settings. Both are stacks combined using Helicon Focus.

These lower images show the effect of changing the mounting medium. The first image, taken in propan-2-ol (isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol) was a single image, the one below a stack of 16 with the specimen in water. I also tried immersion oil. This dissolved the yellow colouring of the pollen, leaving yellow haloes around the grains. Microscope was a Zeiss Standard GFL with Zeiss x40 plan achromatic objective and Watson x8 compensating eyepiece.

Attempts to get some intermediate magnification images using image stacks from the Projectina microscope produced yellow fog in both Helicon and CombineZ.

These pollen grains are like miniature conkers (horse chestnuts to those not versed in the ways of British schoolboys).
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Graham wrote:
These pollen grains are like miniature conkers (horse chestnuts to those not versed in the ways of British schoolboys).
We're learning over here on the other side of the pond mate. First the Beatles, now conkers. The name "conkers" seems fitting though, if you conk someone upside the head with one. :D

Now to the images. All are very nice. Especially the pollen grains. Your display of mounting mediums is quite interesting also. I will have to keep the alcohol in mind. Thanks for the post Graham, very nice shots and great details. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Aww, beautiful Graham. Thanks and I will use these. Fantastic details. Fine work and shots Graham. :D :D , i owe you a beer...............or a dozen :D 8) :lol:

Danny.