Blue butterfly taking off -- 4 frames in 1/15 second

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

rjlittlefield

Blue butterfly taking off -- 4 frames in 1/15 second

Post by rjlittlefield »

Rummaging through some old files, I ran across this one that I thought might be of interest.

This is Plebejus saepiolus, the Greenish Blue butterfly. It is shown at takeoff after nectaring on yarrow (Achillea millefolium).

The four frames are in sequence, 1/60 second apart.

The image capture was done by analog video camera at its "high speed sports" shutter setting -- about 1/4000 second.

Analog video is often described as 30 frames per second, but it is actually 60 fields per second, each field consisting of just the odd- or even-numbered scan lines. By post-processing to separate the fields, one can effectively get low resolution snapshots (320x240 pixels) at 60 per second as shown here.

Just to tie some things together, this butterfly is a close relative of Icaricia lupini, whose egg is pictured in an earlier posting. The egg of saepiolus is similar to lupini's, but somewhat less finely structured.

--Rik

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Nice capture. Butterflies are so pretty, but difficult to photography in flight. Once they decide to leave...they are usually gone.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I ment to comment on this earlier this evening. I saw one that looked something like this one, this afternoon but didn't get a shot of it. Nice sequencing shots here Rik, very nice. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Congrats on an excellent sequence Rik. Very nicely done. Great timing and the lighting couldn't be better for this.

All the best Rik, excellent sequence. :D

Danny.

Erland

Post by Erland »

Never seen a series like this before, excellent stuff.

Erland