Mosquito wing 1 (10X objective)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Mosquito wing 1 (10X objective)

Post by Charles Krebs »

A variety of things have kept me away from the microscope for a spell. One of the things I've been doing is working to get good shots of mosquito larva and pupa (using macro gear). After an adult emerged I took a look at the wing, which is quite fascinating on the mosquito. With the 10X objective I photographed in both brightfield and darkfield. Couldn't decide which I like better, so here are both versions.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

All of your images are excellent Charlie but I would have to opt for the brightfield image. The detail seems more pronounced than in darkfield but then again in the darkfield there some details that are not shown in the brightfield image, so I guess it is up to the viewer and the purpose for which the images are to be used. Either way wonderful images Charlie. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... I guess if you are really undecided you can combine the two and come up with something that looks like this... :shock:

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too, eh Charlie. :lol: You know it is amazing how these wings of insects are constructed. To look at them normally one would never consider them being as intricate as they really are. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.