Honeybee eye

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Honeybee eye

Post by Charles Krebs »

Haven't been able to post much lately, but I did find enough time to combine 87 shots with Helicon Focus to get the depth on this honeybee eye.

10X objective, 2.5X photo-eyepiece. Canon 350D. Two fiber optic light guides through small diffusion "dome".

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Charlie,

Wonderful shot that will likely be used to teach biologists! (If not, it should be.)

I'm a little taken aback by 87 shots - is that number needed?

All the best,

Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

This is a dang good shot Charlie. :D Do you think you could have gotten a little more detail in it though? :lol:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike... 87 might be a little overkill :wink:
But I used a 10X with a pretty high na so DOF was really shallow. And any time the subject has fine hairs protruding toward the objective like this I like to err on the side of too many images. Otherwise you might "miss" a layer and the software can't make a continuous straight line out of the hair, and you get a jagged line.
In addition, it's hard to tell from the picture, but the antenna protruded closer to the lens than the eye, so a significant number of images were needed just to "pull" that into focus.

If I have some time, maybe I'll run it again with every other image in the stack and see how much difference there is.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey Charlie, what is that cup shaped object just above the eye and just to the right of it? Any ideas? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ken... That's an ocellus. It's a little tough to get oriented on this shot because the heads is at a strange angle... but it's one of the "simple" eyes on top of the head.

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

Another incredible image! As always I am inspired. Your comments on technique have taught me much. I am obsessed with detail and focus and so far my images have been rather disappointing. 87 images!? Hmmm. Maybe that's where I can improve. Instead of taking quarter-turns on the fine focus knob, perhaps smaller "bites" will help. Thanks Charlie.
George

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Mike... I played around with the stack and you were right. This could probably have been made with about 25 images. I've been frustrated a few times when I made the interval too large and encountered problems, so I really overdo it sometimes!

So George.... nevermind the 87!... save yourself some hard disk space. :wink:

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Charlie said:
Ken... That's an ocellus. It's a little tough to get oriented on this shot because the heads is at a strange angle... but it's one of the "simple" eyes on top of the head.
I sort of thought so Charlie but I am used to seeing them farther back from the eye of most insects and that it appeared "cup" shaped to me. That is what prompted my question. Thanks Charlie. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy