Snake "Night" on National Geographic Channel

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Snake "Night" on National Geographic Channel

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

If you have National Geographic Channel on cable, this evening (Thursday) they have several shows dealing with snakes (and one that apparently will include a big crocodile). I haven't seen them, but they look promising.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

I saw the episode about the search for the legendary giant snakes.
the guys a nut :shock:
the native guys were watching him handle these gigantic snakes and the look on their face was so funny.
not me. :shock:
i only like little garden snakes :)
did you see the show about he snake charmers who were bit by their cobras that they had handled for years?
Lynne newbie

MikeBinOKlahoma

wtrfall wrote: did you see the show about he snake charmers who were bit by their cobras that they had handled for years?
Lynne newbie
Didn't see that one, but they do have some good reptile (and other) shows....Unlike the Australian yahoo who feels compelled to pick snakes up and juggle them! :-)

I thought most of those snake charmers defanged their cobras?
Mike Broderick

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

nope these two dummies didnt de-fang.
:cry: the one guy in thailand I believe it was, did not seek medical attention right away because he had been bit before,
but apparently cobras have different kinds of bites. they do not always release venom. It depends on intent to kill for food or defense, this time it was how he handled one particular snake that gave signals to him it was in a "mood"
And it released venom this time.
I know it will be on again.
let you know when if i see it posted.

MikeBinOKlahoma

wtrfall wrote: but apparently cobras have different kinds of bites. they do not always release venom. It depends on intent to kill for food or defense,.
Most venomous snakes have some ability to control how much venom they release in a strike. Venom is "expensive" to make, and they don't like to expend it if they don't have to, especially if they can't recover the raw materials by eating the victim. With rattlesnakes, supposedly about 1/4 or so of bites on humans are dry strikes with little or no venom release. They do go all-out releasing venom on most "hunting" strikes, and on defensive strikes where the snake itself is being hurt or feels extremely threatened (or just cranky!).
Mike Broderick

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

one thing that is cool about snakes:
I remember when I was a kid,
we sometimes found a dead snake (or rather the boys helped it get dead.) :roll:
We used to think it was so amazing how it would seem to come alive again when we put it in a puddle of water. something about their nervous system?

wtrfall

Post by wtrfall »

wtrfall wrote:nope these two dummies didnt de-fang.

oops I shouldnt say that name calling not nice :cry: ]

MikeBinOKlahoma

wtrfall wrote:one thing that is cool about snakes:
I remember when I was a kid,
we sometimes found a dead snake (or rather the boys helped it get dead.) :roll:
We used to think it was so amazing how it would seem to come alive again when we put it in a puddle of water. something about their nervous system?
I know that poisonous snakes are famous for biting after they are "dead".....Something to do with their central nervous system still reacting to stimuli for awhile. I don' tthink it is resurrection in the Easter Sunday sense! :D
Mike Broderick

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

You come up with some great nature programs Mike, wish I was in the same continent :D

Also must say a huge thanks for the heads up on "Microcosmos", yep I now own it and its fantastic :wink: . Thanks Mike :D

Danny.

MikeBinOKlahoma

nzmacro wrote: Also must say a huge thanks for the heads up on "Microcosmos", yep I now own it and its fantastic :wink: . Thanks Mike :D
Glad you like it. My mother and stepfather aren't interested in nature photography beyond the level of politely looking at my pictures, but when I figured on just showing them a few minutes of Microcosmos, they ended up sitting and watching the whole thing straight through with no bathroom breaks or excuses to step out for even a minute. Amazing work.

I've ordered and received "Insectia" on DVD based on Moebius's recommendation, but haven't sat down and watched it yet. Looks very promising though!
Mike Broderick