Newbie Hello and one thing I'm wondering about...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Red Seven

Post by Red Seven »

WHOOPS!
Typical Newbie. Posted the wrong link to the image of the scope I've ordered. The one posted was for one I was looking at this morning on ebay.
Here is the correct link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Greetings Red Seven...

I don't know much about Leica scopes as all my experience has been with Olympus and Nikon (finite 160mm tube length) microscopes. Hopefully someone else may be familiar with your new acquisition. But you will certainly be able to see amoeba and all sorts of fascinating creatures.
And why doesn't anyone ever seem to state the magnification at which they view the subject and maybe what scope was used, etc. This seems to be a standard practice for photographers but not microscopists.
We probably should do this a bit more regularly. More valuable perhaps, is the inclusion of a scale bar in the image. Since there are a variety of ways to record the image in a camera, and images are often cropped, the magnification of a picture can be different than might be expected by simply stating that it was viewed at 400X (ie: 40X objective with 10X eyepieces). With a scale bar there is no ambiguity as to the magnification seen in the image. It is interesting to know what was used to make the photo... I think you will find that many if not most of the pictures here include some info in that regard.

Red Seven

Post by Red Seven »

Thanks Charles,
I see now what the issue is with including the info on magnifications, etc of images. Yes the scale would be useful although I guess this might make things a little more complex for people posting the images and I'm just greatful for any pics.
I'm hoping that I purchased a scope that is a good balance between too simple and too complex. I think it should do the job and I guess I'll find out soon enough. Really looking forward.
I'm glad also to hear that amoeba and such things will be within my viewing ability as studing live subjects will, I think be incredibly fancinating.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Welcome :D . Interesting and I know you will get great help from the more knowledgeable users here. Charles knows his stuff well :D :wink:

I'll move this one to the "Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions" where it might get more views and results.

All the best.

Danny.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hello Red Seven :D

Welcome to the Forums. There is a great bunch of folks here and I am sure that you will benifit from their experience. :D

You asked for comments on the Leica microscope. From what I can see in the photograph, it appears to be a very nice scope. Of course Leica is among the leading manufacturers of top quality optical instruments and if it is in good shape optically and mechanically, it should give you years of service. However might I suggest that if you are intending to do photography with this particular model, you may want to see about a different head. One that has a photo tube or if you are so inclined you can just photograph through one of the two eyepieces but some homemade adapters may have to be used. You may try contacting Leica once you have decided that you are pleased with your purchase and see if they have a trinocular head for that model, which of course would have the photo tube.

As for a stereomicroscope, the Leica 2000 is nice but I would suggest something more along the lines of the Meiji EMZ series with photo tube or take a look around at Zeiss, Wild, Olympus, Nikon and other stereomicroscopes in the Leica line up. The 2000 is more for classroom use. Price wise on the stereos, you may find some good deals under $1000 but you would really have to search them out on the above named brands. :wink:

A little word of advice however and keep this is mind, "you get what you pay for." What I am getting at is most bargain scopes cannot be expanded for further applications. The lower the price the less features that they are going to offer and sometimes quality and workmanship suffers as well. :(

Once again a big welcome to the forums and if you have any questions regarding microscopy or macrophotography, feel free to ask. There is a lot of talent coupled with years of experience to draw on here. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Red Seven

Post by Red Seven »

Thanks for the valuable feedback Ken.
Yes I would certainly like to be able to capture images and understand about either being able to upgrade the scope or selling and being able to recover a reasonable amount of my money in order to buy a more advanced scope later. I figure that I need to thoroughly learn the basics and also confirm a long term commitment to microscopy. If I earn a better scope I'm not afraid to spend for quality. One thing I seem to have discovered is that to upgrade by buying, say phase contrast objectives/condenser new from a leica dealer seems to cost more than a good used scope and I'm not sure how easy it would be to find these upgrades used. This is one of the reasons I'm trying to stick to quality brand scopes...I figure that they will have better resale than, say, some attractive scopes that don't have the name and sell for much less. One example is LOMO. I have read a few good things about them and their pricing seems great but will it be easier to sell a Leica or a LOMO later....
Thanks for the suggestion on the Meiji EMZ series. I will study this product as far as features, quality etc and use it as a basis for study and comparison. I think this is a particularly helpful suggestions...thanks! I'm I understanding then that you would feel $500 to $1000 is a low end stereoscope? I would be prepared to spend more if it were justified. What do you think would be a smart range to set pricewise for a very good but not over the top low power stereoscope?
Again thanks for the feedback and I would welcome more from anyone who has a thought to share!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Unfortunately most of your good quality brand name scopes are going to be at least over $1000 new. As for used I would not buy from anyone that I did not know but that is me personally. I have had some bad experiences with both the new mass marketed chinese scopes and used ones. I will not name, names.

The Leica you are considering looks, I said looks, quite good but do you know optically and mechanically what you are getting? I am not trying to sway you away from the Leica but it is...used. Do you know how the previous owner used the scope, under what conditions, good or bad, was the scope subjected to, are the optics exceptionally clean and not cracked or chipped, mechanically does it operate smoothly in all aspects :?: These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself, among others. :wink:

Personally now, I prefer new. I know what I am getting and I will have a guarentee/warrenty and I buy brands that have a good reputation and are known for outstanding quality. Remember what I said, you get what you pay for.

What I have just mentioned applies to both compound and stereomicroscopes. For example I have a Zeiss Axiostar compound scope. The Axiostar is built around a complete system for microscopy both professional and amateur. The basic scope new, was $1350.00. Since then I have upgraded the scope to a trinocular head so I can attach a digital camera, installed a triple filter tray, upgraded to A-Plan objectives vice the CP Achromats that came with it and to be quite honest that was not a waste of money but entirely unnecessary because the CP Achromats were fine as I found out later. All in all I have about a $3000.00 scope not counting the camera and the camera mount. The camera mount being the most inexpensive but the best on the market I have found for adapting a consumer type digital camera to a microscope. :wink:

As for parts to upgrade your scope(s) being expensive, almost as much as the scope itself. Well if you drive a Rolls Royce, expect to pay for Rolls Royce parts but you are making an investment here. One that has good resale value should you decide to move on to much better equipment. Oh yes, there is much better out there. The Axioskope 40 by Zeiss is a sweet little number. Starting price, basic, no frills Axioskope 40, $4000.00 :shock:

I guess that about wraps it up when it comes to quality verses money, used verses new. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.