Eggs Again

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Eggs Again

Post by S. Alden »

This is another cluster of eggs that are the same as what I took earlier. This cluster is on my tree and in a diffcult area to focus. I had to bend backwards to get this (not an easy feat at my age :lol: ). The cluster was on the underside of a tree branch.

Canon 20D with the Canon 100mm Macro, handheld. I use an aperture of 13 and my shutter speed was at 1/25. This is approximately 85% of the original image. Flash was set to fire without compensation.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Sue,

Yep, wheel bug eggs looks right. Google image search on "wheel bug" eggs produces several pictures that look like what you have. Not as well photographed, of course :wink: , but lots of info available. There is a particularly good shot of eggs and hatchlings at http://bugguide.net/node/view/3507, and an amusing caption at http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/wheel_bug_04.htm .

--Rik

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks like a colony of ants with red hot butts Rik. :lol: I know little about photography but it seems as though the image is a bit hazy but having to position ones self in an awkward position doesn't help matters much I know.

However you managed to get a good shot of the eggs Sue, nice work. I hope that you will get the chance to photograph the hatch. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Yes, the image in not totally in focus. Hard to do handholding at 1/25sec, but good enough to see a bit of detail.

Yep, the little red-butts will soon be seen on this forum :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

I think we're seeing a little bit of motion blur, not out-of-focus. At this resolution, it's hard to tell for sure, but there's a distinctive "feel" to the photo that I have come to associate with images that are clearly motion blurred when I blow them up.

At 1:1 and 1/25 second handheld, I would be shocked if the image were not motion blurred!

For handheld in low light, I usually sacrifice the background to black and rely entirely on the flash, which then gives effectively 1/1000 second or faster.

--Rik

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thanks Rik, I will have to give that a try. Motion blur...likely. I am not that stable bent backwards. Heck, I am not that stable standing straight up either anymore... :lol:
Sue Alden
Administrator

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Ok, here it is using Rik's suggestion. What do you think? Better? I like the blacked out background on this.

This image is full frame, as it came out of the camera. Well, I did sharpen it a bit.
Sue Alden
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah that is much better Sue but you have dust on your lens or something. I can see it on the rightside in the darkened background. But the images of the eggs is much sharper and cleaner. :D

...and then there is that peristome thing. 8-[
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

yea, it is my bird's fault (Niki). I had the camera and she came flying by and landed on me. Dusty feathers everywhere. I should have checked to make sure none was on my lense, but I did not.
Sue Alden
Administrator

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Actually, it looks like it is on the senor, mirror..not the lense.
Sue Alden
Administrator

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Second version is better Sue and its an interesting subject. Very unusual to see and well taken IMO.

All the best Sue. :D

Danny.