Miniature metal glaciers?

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

rjlittlefield

Miniature metal glaciers?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Here's something a bit different for you. :D

These are actually little curls of aluminum that came off cutting tools when I was doing a bit of machining recently. The larger two are from a drill bit, the smaller one from a lathe chisel.

What I think is cool about these things, is how much they look like little glaciers when you look close.

One surface is polished from direct contact with the tool, while the bulk of the metal and the opposite surface are heavily striated.

The striations are caused by compressive shear forces that make the metal grains slide across each other without coming apart.

So the process really is very much like what happens to the body of a glacier, except of course with the metal it happens a lot faster and hotter. :shock:

The background is the underside of a maple leaf, just 'cuz I thought the color and texture went well with the metal. :D

Hope you enjoy these!

--Rik

Technical: Both pics are full frame, deeply stacked. The first one is Sigma 105mm at f/11 at 1:1 (22.7mm wide), 0.020" focus step. The second one is Olympus Zuiko 38mm at f/4 at 3.4:1 (6.73mm wide), 0.002" focus step.

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some pretty neat photographs Rik. :D The first one looks like as though you swipped some stuff off someones Christmas tree though! :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken Ramos wrote:The first one looks like as though you swipped some stuff off someones Christmas tree though! :D
Hah! A picture of my work area would dispell that thought instantly. But I'm too embarassed to post one! There are tangles and tangles of this stuff lying around looking like some robotic bird's nest. :D

--Rik

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

That is a very unusual shot!

If you've got that much (seriously) shaved metal laying around, you might want to think about dust inhalation hazard. I assume this process produces fine particles?
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

MikeBinOKlahoma wrote:I assume this process produces fine particles?
Nope, nary a particle to be found. I don't have any metal-working processes that make airborne particles. Cutting cast iron or brass can make some stuff like heavy dust, but it all falls into a little pile under the tool.

There is some real hazard in these curls, though, and that's eye damage.

A long smooth cut on the lathe can crank out many feet of this curl, and it just keeps on growing until something makes it break off. Problem is, while the curl is growing, it's also turning. It's turning around its own axis, which doesn't seem so bad, and it really isn't...until the curl catches on something that stops the far end from turning. Then the whole freaking thing quickly winds up into what the protein guys would call a "tertiary structure", which is a polite way of saying one big knot, which flails around until you either interrupt the cut or it catches on something strong enough to make it break off.

Goggles are a good idea...

--Rik

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Goggles :?: I thought "Goggles" is an Internet search engine :?: :-k

Seriously, this is impressive, Rik. I love the contrast of the shavings on the leaf. Very artistic, my friend. :D

Best regards as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

twebster wrote:I love the contrast of the shavings on the leaf. Very artistic, my friend.
Thanks, Tom! I liked the way it came out, too.
twebster wrote:
Goggles :?: I thought "Goggles" is an Internet search engine :?: :-k
You know, I had the devil's own time typing "goggles", with only one "o" and two "g"s in the middle.

And then after I typed it, I had to sit staring at it for a really long time, convincing myself it was right. :?

But to my credit, I did not visit Google and type "define: goggles" . At least, not until just now...for reassurance only, you understand. :D

I remember a time when "Google" was hard to type.

Things change... :-k :D

--Rik

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Somebody asked me offline about the resolution of these images.

Here's a crop from the second one. This shows pretty much all the detail that's available.

--Rik