Rheinberg Illumination

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

ldoti

Rheinberg Illumination

Post by ldoti »

I had a old Nikon setup (LKe stand) that worked very well for me for many years. However the fine focusing Delrin gear let go and I can't find a supply for them. I obtained an Olympus BH2 recently and would like to set it up to use Rhienberg Illumination. I am having trouble cutting round discs. I am sure I am not the first or last person who has tried this. Does anyone have a good technique to cut 45mm and 9mm to 20mm discs and toroids in colored transparent plastic?
Regards,

Les Doti

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Les... personally I gave up on the lab "cork borers" that some recommend because most of the plastics were too tough to cut that way. I wound up making the sizes I wanted in page layout software, and printed some on transparency material, and then carefully cut them out with a good scissors.. For other materials I printed "templates" via the computer (in some cases on gummed label stock) and used this on the plastics to guide my cutting.
There used to be a fellow that sold sets on eBay, and would make up custom sets if requested, but I haven't seen them for a long time. If I can find his name in my "archives" I'll let you know.

wilash

Post by wilash »

Can't you just print the two-colored filters out on tranparent material? That would seem easier than all that cutting.
Will

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I use a compass cutter (basically a compass with a blade instead of a pencil or pen). They can be obtained from modelling supplies companies. You may need to fill in the central pinprick.

You can print coloured patterns on overhead transparency sheet, but the colour density is generally inadequate and so you will need to print several and laminate them into a stack. I use a very small amount of superglue around the edge to hold the stack together.
Graham

ldoti

Rheinberg Illumination

Post by ldoti »

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't think my printer could generate saturated colors good enough to be used as a filter. The compass idea is something I will look at. Cutting is not one of my strong suits.

I appreciate the suggestions.
Regards,

Les Doti