Damselfly nymph (dorsal & ventral views of head)

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Damselfly nymph (dorsal & ventral views of head)

Post by Charles Krebs »

Photographed this damselfly nymph in a small "aquarium" slide I made, then set it loose back in the pond sample...
...sort of catch-and-release for insects. :wink:

Since the Olympus is still out of service, I've been playing around with a Labophot stand trying to come up with a condenser set-up that will give me nice even brightfield and easy darkfield with the low power objectives (2X, 2.5X and 3X) that I use most often for these "large" subjects. After dinking around off-and-on for a few days, I think I have finally found a working solution! Sometimes is seems harder to light for these low power objectives than the 10X-40X range.

The upper image is the dorsal view, taken with a 3X objective. The
lower image is a ventral view, taken with a 2.5X. I used a 2.5X photo-eyepiece,Canon Rebel 350D, and electronic flash for both.

rjlittlefield

Re: Damselfly nymph (dorsal & ventral views of head)

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote:... trying to come up with a condenser set-up that will give me nice even brightfield and easy darkfield with the low power objectives (2X, 2.5X and 3X) that I use most often for these "large" subjects.
Well, I can't evaluate "nice even brightfield" and "easy" darkfield from these images.

But there's just no way to fault the high quality of the darkfield. These are superb.

Any tips to pass along, about how you did these?

--Rik