Famous Macro Photographers

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Famous Macro Photographers

Post by S. Alden »

Besides Danny Young and Michael Keniston who we all know are the greatest macro photographers around, who else would fall in this category? Someone published and known to the macro world?

My final project (for one class this semester) - I have to take photographs in the style of a photographer (famous) and of course talk about them and the style for about 4 pages.

I think I will see if I can use Danny Young and Michael Keniston for my assignment. Ok, they are not dead yet, but do you really need to die to be famous?
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Um, how about Charlie Krebs?

If you can lay hands on a copy, there's a book titled "Insects in Camera" by Cristopher O'Toole "with photographs by Ken Preston-Mafham" that's cover-to-cover gorgeous stuff -- almost as good as the best of photomacrography.net :wink:

Also there's "The Complete Guide to Close-Up & Macro Photography" by Paul Harcourt Davies, same description.

--Rik

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Aww heck not me Sue.

Stephen Dalton is #1 in my book. Simply the best action shots in the natural and macro world IMO. Even his amazing bird shots Sue. His books are incredible, as is his impact on the environment.

Charles Chien, Mark Plonsky, Hector Niam, Sven, TC, Michael Brown, Ronnie Gaubert is totally awesome, our very own Charles Krebs is waaaaay up there :D, etc, etc. Just check out my links page Sue.

http://www.macrophotos.com/nzmacro/links/links.htm

Not many there but I just love em :D :wink: Sophie, now there's a very unique macro shooter Sue. She's now a pro in her very own unique style and now has exhibitions in Paris and also had a couple in the US.

And if I think about it, I could probably give you another 50 :D :wink:

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

How could I forget about Sophie :roll:. She has amazing talent painting with macro. And, Michael Brown and Ronnie too.

Charlies K....well I could not even come close to duplicating his stuff. He is way up there in everything he does. I would do him a great disservice, but a challenge I will go for.. :lol:

Thanks Danny, you are still number one in my book of great macro photographers.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Sophie probably is the closest to having a reputation as an "artiste"! :-)

John Shaw and Charlie West aren't well-known outside nature photography circles (and Charlie West not-so-well-known there), but they are two I would list in addition to the others talked about here.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Rik

"If you can lay hands on a copy, there's a book titled "Insects in Camera" by Cristopher O'Toole "with photographs by Ken Preston-Mafham" that's cover-to-cover gorgeous stuff -- almost as good as the best of photomacrography.net"

I met Ken Preston-Mafham once at a cactus weekend. He is a British cactophile like myself and runs a cactus nursery as well as being a wildlife photographer. He also runs his own picture agency and supplies photo's for many natural history books. His web site is:-

http://home.btconnect.com/Premaphotos/

DaveW

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

DaveW,

Thanks for the link -- I vaguely recall having run into that site before, but I did not make the connection to "Insects in Camera".

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

I have to hang my head in shame not knowing the people whereof you speak, however, one of the greatest in my mind is Mark Plonsky: http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/ Absolutely AMAZING macro work with just a Point & Shoot Canon G6 and some well purchased equipment. Go take a look. It's the kind of macro I'd kill to be able to do.
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I agree Carl, see also:-

http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm

DaveW