High noon

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MacroLuv

High noon

Post by MacroLuv »

Spider again :D

Camera model Olympus SP-320
Date/time 14.06.2006/12:35:12
Exposure time 1/500 s
F-number f/5
ISO 64
Focal length 8 mm

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

Again, wow! These pictures are like you're living on a different planet!

I have a gory detail technical question about that camera. At its most extreme macro setting, what's the field width?

--Rik
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

"Quick, Mr. Spock! Shoot it with your phaser before it grabs the guy in the red shirt!"

:D

Very, very alien looking.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

rjlittlefield wrote:Again, wow! These pictures are like you're living on a different planet!

I have a gory detail technical question about that camera. At its most extreme macro setting, what's the field width?

--Rik
I have no skill in optics but the field of view is determined by the angle of view from the lens out to the scene and can be measured horizontally or vertically. At Olympus SP-320 most extreme macro setting you can get 2cm close to object with fixed max. wide angle (8mm).
Because of 5X crop factor based on sensor size 7.18 x 5.32mm it has better macro capabilities, in other words, macro results are achieved with (easier) close-up photography.
Anyone know how to calculate it? :-k

Sensor size 1/1.8 " (7.18 x 5.32 mm)
Zoom wide (W) 38 mm (8 mm based on sensor size)
Super macro 2 cm

Take a look at my favorite macro hunting positions on my planet. :D

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

MacroLuv wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:...what's the field width?
Anyone know how to calculate it? :-k
Sure, assuming that I trust the camera manufacturer to tell everything important about how their lens works. They often don't, because it's complicated and nobody cares. For example, I've had some zoom lenses with close focusing capability that delivered maximum magnification someplace in the middle of their zoom range. No simple theory would predict that.

Anyway, field width is much easier to just measure than calculate.

Stick a mm ruler in front of the camera. Move it around and adjust the camera settings until the ruler looks as big as possible while still being in focus. Take a picture and count how many mm wide.

What's the number :?:

--Rik

PS. Here's the calculation. The standard thin lens model says that 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is focal length, o is distance from lens to object, and i is distance from lens to image. The field width Fw is related to the sensor width Sw as Fw = (o/i)*Sw. Run the numbers for f=8mm, o=20mm, Sw=7.18mm, get i=13.33mm, Fw = (20/13.33)*7.18 = 11.97mm field width.

If that's about right, then your camera with no additional lenses takes roughly the same picture as a 2:1 macro setup on a crop factor 1.6 DSLR like my Canon 300D (sensor size 22.7x15.1). This makes yours one fine little camera for carrying around to take pictures of small things that you can get close to. But you knew that. :wink: :D
Reworks and reposts of my images in this forum are always welcome, as are constructive critiques.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

rjlittlefield wrote:... Take a picture and count how many mm wide.

--Rik
Your calculation is nice but question is from which point of the camera "Super macro 2cm distance" specification is?

Ad hoc on camera display my ruler says ~ 25mm wide. :lol:

Beetleman

Post by Beetleman »

Excellent photo Nikola. Very cool spider. I love the yellow with the blue-purple flowers. All the other posts are way over my head :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda
Canon PowerShot S1 IS with Canon 250D closeup lens

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yeah Doug their way over my head too in those discussions. I am more into instant gratification without the technicalities. :lol:

Hey, another great photograph Nikola. :D Those Oly cameras are to be envied I think and something to consider throwing in ones camera bag for those quick no time to fool with complicated gear shots. :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

MacroLuv, you're taking fanominal (sp??) pictures with that Olympus camera of yours. Keep it up!
Carl B. Constantine
http://photo-op.ca/

rjlittlefield

Post by rjlittlefield »

MacroLuv wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:... Take a picture and count how many mm wide.

--Rik
Your calculation is nice but question is from which point of the camera "Super macro 2cm distance" specification is?

Ad hoc on camera display my ruler says ~ 25mm wide. :lol:
Excellent -- thanks for the measurement. Apparently the 2 cm spec is measured from somewhere well in front of the lens's front nodal point. No surprise. That's why I don't trust calculations.

Given the measurement, my comment has to change a bit, but only in one number. It becomes:

"...your camera with no additional lenses takes roughly the same picture as a 1:1 macro setup on a crop factor 1.6 DSLR like my Canon 300D (sensor size 22.7x15.1). This makes yours one fine little camera for carrying around to take pictures of small things that you can get close to. But you knew that."

Clearly a good tool, and in very capable hands! :D

--Rik

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Thank you Rik! Yours comments are welcome and instructive. :D