would something like this do for my MT24-EX

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

dearis

would something like this do for my MT24-EX

Post by dearis »

Hi there,

My brother in law is a lazer cutter so I am going to try and make something like this for my macro flash the MT24-EX will this be enough? to get the flashes wider? and at odd angles?

Regards Darren

Canon 350d body
50mm f/1.8 MKII
17-40mm f/4 L
70-200mm f/4 L
100mm f/2.8 Macro,

Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Speedlite 580EX

Cable release
Manfrotto Tripod & Monopod
Canon tripod mount ring A
Kenko Pro Extension Rings
BG-E3 Grip
My Gallery http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/ ... /?start=20

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Darren, :D

Something like this would probably work with the MT24-EX flashes. My only concern would be...How do you light a vertical composition? If you don't have a lens with a rotating tripod collar then the whole rig would have to be turned vertical. That places your flashes above and below your subject. That wouldn't look too natural to me.

The way the MT24-EX mounts to the lens allows the camera to be turned vertical and the flashes left in place horizontally. If you need more separation between the flash heads wouldn't it be easier to have someone machine little extension blocks to go between the flash head and the flash mount of the current set up?

(I moved your post here because this is more of a technical question than a general discussion.)

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

twebster

If you can machine extension blocks for the unit surely you could mount arms on these blocks and get the advantage of the flash arms shown whilst retaining the MT24-EX's ability to rotate the camera in its mount.

As long as you can bolt the bits on without modifying the MT24-EX itself you ought to be able to put extension arms on it. A hybrid between the flash arm set up shown and the MT24-EX?

DaveW

dearis

Post by dearis »

Its either that bracket or 2 snake like arms on my tripod. And you are right above and below no good. I intended to add an extra bend and make them extendable. Then make some diffusers like these http://www.photozo.com/forum/download.php?id=12852

Kind regards Darren
Canon 350d body
50mm f/1.8 MKII
17-40mm f/4 L
70-200mm f/4 L
100mm f/2.8 Macro,

Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Speedlite 580EX

Cable release
Manfrotto Tripod & Monopod
Canon tripod mount ring A
Kenko Pro Extension Rings