:: View topic - Phase contrast microscopy with a reflective sample?
 Forum Index
An online community devoted to the practices of photomacrography and amateur microscopy..

New! Photomacrography2.net

This site is no longer available for posting or registering new members.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Phase contrast microscopy with a reflective sample?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TM2030

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Phase contrast microscopy with a reflective sample? Reply with quote

Very Happy
Hi All, I am trying to find ways to enhance the contrast from a reflective metal specimen with low contrast marks on it. Currently I am using a low NA objective and viewing on a CCD camera. I wondered if I could use a phase contrast objective (or similar technique) to improve contrast? I can't use ring illumination as there is restricted access (Thats also why I cant use a large NA objective but in any case I think that would mainly improve resolution not contrast). I was wondering if i could illuminate the sample with an expanded laser (beam) and knock out the zero order diffraction with a central mask at the objective back focus ? I dont know if i need a phase mask or just a blocking mask? But I am still not sure what the image would look like or if it would improve at all in terms of contrast. CCD is B/W. I dont want to get expensive bits in, unless there i was sure it would improve matters.
The laser angle would point down onto the specimen just off a vertical angle again to avoid the restrictions , then be reflected back into the objective. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: