300D and flash

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

nzmacro
Site Admin

300D and flash

Post by nzmacro »

Asking this question out of interest for a 300D user. For macro and std type shots, what do you use or recommend.

D30, D60, 10D, 20D owners and users please post away as well. Could be interesting and useful to others.

Diffusers, brackets, ringflash, macrolites, whats you preference.

All the best folks and thanks. :D

Danny.

Sven Bernert

Re: 300D and flash

Post by Sven Bernert »

nzmacro wrote:For macro and std type shots, what do you use or recommend.
FOr the 300D I'd go with Mark's solution then: 420EX + backet + diffusor or - instead the 420EX - an used 550EX (since the new 580EX is out and people start flooding the market with used 550s). This is the most useful combination IMO for using it with Canon's E-TTL system on portrait *AND* macro work.

One of the Sigma flashes also talks E-TTL (not sure which one). You need to create your own diffusor her since the Omni Bouncers dont fit on the Sigma flashes.

I'D strongly advise to learn how the E-TTL stuff works since it is IMO the best on camera flash solution on the market (at this time).

Again: this is all IM(H)O. :D :D :D

Danny, are you going to buy a 300D?
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Sven Bernert wrote:
Danny, are you going to buy a 300D?
:D No M8t, I doubt I could ever go back to a full system my friend. I find what I use now just so easy. The lens to subject distance I really enjoy. I like the higher ISO with Dslr and the quality for sure. But no M8t, its interesting the cost difference is not that great between what we use. A 10D is about the same as lets say a Sony 828. Interesting huh.

All the best M8t :D

Danny.

PS: Great to see Charles as well Sven.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I use the 550EX with my D60 and usually with the diffuser. I have a macro bracket, but still cannot figure out how to set it up :oops:
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

S. Alden wrote:I have a macro bracket, but still cannot figure out how to set it up :oops:
Sue,

Mark's NPN Member Profil contains an image that shows how to setup the flash and the bracket. :)

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

nzmacro wrote: :D No M8t, I doubt I could ever go back to a full system my friend.
Yeah, but I have to admit that for just a fraction of a second I was really confused :mrgreen:

I know prices are the same at the end and those fixed lens digital cameras are better suited for all the macro stuff (think DOF hehe :mrgreen: ) It would be interesting (for me) to hear Mark's reasons for changing systems to DSLR with all the killer 8 Mp digitals out there.

All the Best,
Sven

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Sven Bernert wrote:
S. Alden wrote:I have a macro bracket, but still cannot figure out how to set it up :oops:
Sue,

Mark's NPN Member Profil contains an image that shows how to setup the flash and the bracket. :)

Best,
Sven
Thanks Sven and this is really embrassing :oops: , but I cannot figure out how to attach the flash unit. I received the bracket as part of the NPN Editor's Annual awards. Jim E. will be attending the MANP outing this weekend, and I am going to make him..yes make him show me how this thing works :wink: .
Sue Alden
Administrator

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I've never worked that one out Sue, its almost like it needs a cold shoe fixed somewhere so you can add the external adaptors for it.

Tell ya what, pack up the family and bring the bracket with you, I'll make something fit :D

All the best and thanks folks, interesting reading.

Danny.

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

S. Alden wrote:Jim E. will be attending the MANP outing this weekend
Oh, please give my regards to Jim (and Donna as well if she's there). I just sent him a book with all the winner pictures from our anual Nature Photography Contest 2004 here in G.

All the best, Sue and have fun at the MANP outing. Maybe one day I'll attend to one of these outings too (just yesterday I paid my ticket for the US green Card lottery :mrgreen:

Sven

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Sure will Sven. Donna will be accompanying Jim, so I will make sure they both received your regards. You are welcome to join us any time. Paula G from the UK will be with us on this one. She flew in last night :D . Looks like we will be getting rain for the event, so since we have the conference room set for Saturday, I will suggest taking macro images of everyone's eye ball to pass the time. 8)
Sue Alden
Administrator

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Hey Sue, just as a thought, ask Jim about the bracket. Now he might just know exactly how it works. Its different from Mark's setup. Jim supplied it, hopefully he knows how it works :D

All the best Sue.

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Flash bracket problem SOLVED :D . I need an off-shoe cord. I had one of those, but it was not the right kind and that is where all the confusion (on my part) showed itself.
Sue Alden
Administrator

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Ahh Sue thats great, I'm very pleased Sue, its bugged me for awhile that one. :D