Another ant shot

Post your macro and close-up images in this gallery. You may post all subject types whether natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Another ant shot

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I just discovered this site. Charles Chien's ant shot prompted me to dig out this one from last Summer.

This is a Pogo harvester ant from a park near my home.

I took the shot with a Canon 1Ds and the same MP-E-65 lens that Charles uses. As those who read this site will know, such a lens can't focus more than a few inches in front of the glass. I was at 5x, about an inch away from the entrance to the anthill, and had hundreds of ants crawling all over me! They crawled around, but never stung while I took several hundred photos (due to depth of field problems, only about three weren't obvious throw-aways).

When I stood up, I still had numerous ant passengers. I couldn't resist the temptation to brush them off. This generally worked without a problem, but when I failed to knock one off, he stung me, and over the next minute I picked up five more stings! Pheromones in action....

So I guess I can truly say that I suffered for my art in this case! It does look awesome printed large, though.

about 5x
65mm bellows lens on 35mm DSLR
1/250th second @ f/16 (set on camera--Actual f/stop much higher)
ISO 100
handheld (elbows on ground) macro flash
Last edited by MikeBinOKlahoma on Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Hmmm....I thought by cutting and pasting the address, the photo would be displayed in the message directly. Is there another step I need to do to save y'all clicking on the link?

(added later) I broke the code! Things work so much better when you read the instructions.....
Last edited by MikeBinOKlahoma on Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Nice ant. Now I am going to have to try for one, only without the sting part.

Not sure how it is done hosting on this server. I host my own images and all I have to do is hit the "Img" button above, type in the url, and hit the "img" button again and the image shows up.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:shock: "Would ya jest look at them jaws!" Mike you must have been only a french fry away from being a happy meal. :lol: Excellent photograph though, good detail. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Well its there now Mike and its a beauty!!. Great perspective and somehow, I bet the shot was worth the agro with the ants huh. :D Fine sharp details and darn good DOF Mike. Impressive. Yes you and Charles will get on well.

All the best Mike and of course, a big welcome. Just post way.

Danny.

Charles Chien

Post by Charles Chien »

Yeah, I agree you did suffer for your art, Mike! :lol: Although it's well worth it. Nice work, Mike! Welcome here.
Charles Chien

LBadrick

Post by LBadrick »

Hello Mike. Nice that you have found the place.

Great photo. I definitely would not like to meet him given the same size.

Welcome aboard.

Lee. :)