Stomp'n Grounds

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Stomp'n Grounds

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Ever wonder where I get my protozoa collections? This is just one of the places I call home. I thought it would be nice to let some of you see a little of Western North Carolina. I am perched on a ledge about 1000' above a beautiful water fall which is about 200' in hight. This is Linville Falls.

From what I have gathered Linville Falls is about 5 million years old and is twelve miles from where it orignally started. Cutting an area we now call the Linville Gorge. I hike here a lot and carefully too. If you goof up down there, the only way to get you out is by air. Helo rides are expensive for the lack of common sense. Below the water fall is a big sand bar, perfect for a rest after hiking down that cliff and the trout fishing is good down there too. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

You know, Ken, one of the thoughts that had crossed my mind was to ask people to post images of where they collect their samples or take their photos. I'll add one or two of my collecting places over the next days & weeks.

Your picture looks to be of a wonderful place.
Graham

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Ken,

These are the kind of places that make life worth living. What you need is a field scope rig, so you can just stay and do microscopy on site all day :)

Steve

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Graham, Steve: This is only one of the many place in which I do my collecting and nature studies. It is an extreamly biodiverse area and I have to be very careful what I take and where I take it. There are many rare and wonderful species of fauna and flora here and they are endangered and protected. Fines are hefty should you get caught taking something you shouldn't. Here is where a good camera and a pair of binoculars comes in handy and as you suggested Steve, a good field scope. However, the terrain is rugged and sometimes treacherous and the 45lb. pack I carry is just enough in case I get into a situation where I have to stay overnight. Thankfully I have not. So a good selection of Hastings hand lenses 7X, 10X, and 14X and a notebook suffice. I hike this area year round, weather permitting and in the winter it is absolutely breathtaking. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.