Canon 220EX flash for macro`?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

ottl

Canon 220EX flash for macro`?

Post by ottl »

Another flash question...

I know this unit has some limitations. But what about using this flash for macro - one unit on a bracket, with a homebrew diffuser. I don`t think I want to use flash for other stuff really (not in my landscape routine anyway :twisted: ). So would a 420EX be a better choice here or will the 220 do well, too?

I figure the extra power is not all that important cause the subject is really close. What about exposure accuracy issues?

I like the idea of a 220EX cause it is smaller and lighter and should be easier to maneuver on a bracket. But I bet most of you know more about flash use than me :oops: so please comment
Ott Luuk
-----
Art does not reproduce what we see. It makes us see. -- Paul Klee

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

Nobody seems to have any help for you, Ott!

I have vague memories of seeing a photographer with two Canon 220EX flashes set at a distance on either side of his macro lens using a dual flash bracket. He was using two light sources separated by distance to minimize problems with shadows from flash.

Other than being a little awkward, I don't remember him mentioning any problems with his rig or the flashes. I'm sure the two 220EX flashes were a lot lighter than two of the powerhouse flashes! I realize I'm not being very specific here.

The Canon macro flash (MT-24EX) is a very impressive unit if you can find a way to cope with the massive price tag. :(
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)