Collecting haunts, part 2 (and family)

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

gpmatthews

Collecting haunts, part 2 (and family)

Post by gpmatthews »

Thought I'd introduce you to the family as well as another collecting location. This is my daughter, Janejira (5), and wife, Noi, ably assisting on a collecting trip. The location is the Red River which takes the outflow from Warnham mill pond (see previous post) down to the River Arun. It is a deeply cut man-made watercourse with a stony bed. It contains lots of small fish - stone loach, bullhead, stickleback, dace as well as a wide selection of smaller creatures and I'm told, the occasional otter (I've not seen one). As you can see, it is very shallow in places, although there are some deeper muddy parts. It is about ten minutes walk from my house and the banks and adjacent fields are favourite places for dog-walking. It also borders a golf course, so in places you have to be wary of high speed white projectiles!
Graham

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D It seems that children, nets, jars, and creeks just go together. Reminds one of their younger days. Lovely family Graham. You know I like this new forum of ours, it adds a real personal touch to all of our posts now. A hearty well done to the gentlemen who created this net is much in order here. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I more than agree with you, Ken - this is proving to be a wonderful on-line community - thanks chaps! - and thanks also to all the other members for making the forum what it is.
Graham

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

What a lovely family, Graham. :D Janejira looks as happy as can be. Love her now while she will let you. They change drastically when they turn 14 yrs old :!: :twisted: :D

Best regards,
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Graham,

No doubt about, kids just love this kind of thing! Is that a plankton net your wife has? I have a nice one that came with my microscope, but I haven't used it yet. Probably a great way to concentrate critters.

All you guys are making me crazy seeing all this water and greenery. It's so rare here in S. AZ (and so far away).

Steve

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Janejira just had to have a pink net, as it's her favourite colour. My wife's net is made from an old pair of tights, a heavy duty coathanger and the handle of an old cobweb brush. This is the net I usually use myself and it is fine enough for catching most small creatures.
Graham

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Looks like a fun family outing. At least they seem to be having fun. Nice hangout and good idea on the nets.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Charming family portrait Graham and a beautiful little stream. Do you find protist samples there? I was thinking it need to be still water for that.
Ken
Ken

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Most of the samples I've taken so far fro here are of larger creatures: caddis larvae, small fish, freshwater shrimps etc, but I am intending some more in-depth studies soon. So far, no protozoa...
Graham