What are some standards for slide-making

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Julie Garden PHI

What are some standards for slide-making

Post by Julie Garden PHI »

I am working macro, but the photos I'm producing right I'd like to be of "lab" quality", at least in their standard of information expressed on the photo.
Is there a standard MO for displaying information on a slide, such as size on bottom left, title on top right, copyright info lower center?
Would love your input.
Thank you.
Julie

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Julie :D

Welcome aboard :!: I assume you are talking about labeling 35mm mounted transparencies, correct? If so, I don't think there is a standard method of labeling the slide mounts. I, personally, use small Avery labels (#8167) and put my name, copyright notice, and address on the back side of the slide. On the front side of the slide mount I put the slide ID #, subject name, and where I collected the specimen. This works well for my needs. If you are submitting slides to a stock photography agency, the agency will instruct you as to how the slides should be labeled for their reference system.

Hope this helps, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Julie Garden PHI

Thanks so much Tom, and Thanks also for the Welcome! I am so enjoying writing, looking, watching (in amazement), and responding here at your site.
Thanks for the labeling tips. This will definitely help when I'm using the macro set-up for my film camera (analog), but for my digital, what do I do? I've seen some real lab-oriented specimen slides that have the mm measurement embedded on the bottom right hand corner of the slide. Have you seen this as well?
Julie

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Julie :D
This will definitely help when I'm using the macro set-up for my film camera (analog), but for my digital, what do I do? I've seen some real lab-oriented specimen slides that have the mm measurement embedded on the bottom right hand corner of the slide. Have you seen this as well?
I use good ol' Microsoft Access to file my digital images. In fact, I use Access for all of my cataloging needs. If you get an Access for Dummies book you can create your own database after a couple of days playing around. You can see an example of how I use Access HERE. If you don't want to mess with Access there are many photo filing programs available.

As for specimen slides with a mm ruler, I have not seen those. I haven't worked in a professional biological lab in over 26 years. I used to work for our county coroner's office as a forensic photographer and the slides I've photographed there had criminal case numbers on them :!: :D Perhaps one of our other microscopists will chime in here.

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Julie Garden PHI

Thanks for the info Tom. What a career in forensics, you had! Yike.
I'm learning, from the tomes in the Greenhouse/Arboretum Library, that there is no standard and there really hasn't been one.
I'm just wingin' it now with a metal and plastic see-thru ruler. I'll get one together for you from today's work, if you'd like to see it?
Upload it here, or to the Gallery?
Again, thanks for all your help.
Julie