Reflectors/Deflectors

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

S. Alden
Site Admin

Reflectors/Deflectors

Post by S. Alden »

Has anyone used these for Macro photography? I won several sets, all different sizes and have no idea on their use. I will assume that one reflects light and one deflects light, but I am not sure if they are to be used in place of a flash unit or conjunction with a flash unit.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

Charles Chien

Post by Charles Chien »

I don't quite have an answer to you, without a description of the devices. But would be interested in looking at them to see if I can contribute some ideas if you can point to some pictures of them.
Charles Chien

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

I think they have them in the NPN shop M8t. Hang on I'll take a look.......

Yep I think these are them Charles

http://www.naturephotographers.net/gs/gsmacrokit1.html

I think Sue got these as part of her NPN prize for the best of the year.

For moving insects Sue, forget them IMHO. :D For floral work, no problem. The diffused one just diffuses the sun and makes the light softer. The reflector bounces light to even out lighting. Many floral macro experts use them Sue, not much for insects though.

For macro, because we are using small subjects, just a small white card will do the trick, rather than a large disk. I should have an example from just a few days ago....... This one Sue

A white card was used just below this white carnation to throw a bit of light upward where it was looking a bit dark. It also caused a slight glow to the underneath.

Thats the idea of the reflector. If on that shot the diffuser disc was used between the sun and the carnation, it might help soften this image. Not something I worry about too much, but thats just a me thing. Others love it. Some use gold, silver and white reflectors for different coloured results. Generally they are double sided.

All the best Sue and I'm pretty sure those are what you are asking about.

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Thats them Danny. I received four disks:

12" Translucent
12" Siver/Gold
22" Translucent
22" Silver/Gold

Seems a bit of a hassel since I do not have a plamp, not that I could not rig up one of those. I should experiment with them, but I forget I have them until I look in the "box" to see what else I won :lol: . I found a groudpod in there the other day.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

LOL, hassle is right. :D I once took a fly shot, you know what ratio I work at, Someone said at NPN, I should try a diffuser, yep, one of those. LOL. I asked him where I would attach it on my camera....maybe the hot shoe !!!. He said, just get your daughter to hold it over the fly for you from a distance. Uh huh. That will work. So I gave up on the conversation :D I don't think they really understand how close we have to get Sue, LOL.

The best use of the gold reflector is the from our old M8t Eddie.

http://forums.naturephotographers.net/6 ... 8586090941

You might remember it Sue, its one of my all time favourites of macro. He's a clever guy :D Read how he used the gold reflector. Certainly not what it was meant for, but man did it work a treat.

All the best Sue and save them for flowers IMHO. Too much movement and sun reflections, insects just don't like it.

Danny.

Charles Chien

Post by Charles Chien »

Ah... Got it now. Thanks Danny for the link. I agree with you Danny that they are not for all situations, and that, at times, a smaller card is more convenient. I use that from time to time. And, I like your beautiful example of that, and that of Eddie.

However, if a light source (such as multiple flashes) is strong enough, it can be bounced with reflector or through a diffuser - even with insects. :wink: Here are two such examples of mine where two flashes are used as main source of light bounced from an umbrella: Katydid and Bee In Flight. These may not be the best examples, but they serve to show that's possible.

Sue, I would imagine with plamps or arms, your four disks can be used just like the umbrella in my case. In the case of an umbrella, it provides light more evenly, but it does take a little time to set up. The advantage is that it covers a little more area than a single flash would, so you don't need to set it up again until of course you move out of the range. In the case of the bee in the photo, I took quite a few photos with the same lighting setup.

Hope this helps.
Charles Chien

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Yes most definitely M8t. I was bouncing flash off ant's today. It stops the harsh reflections we get off shiny subjects. Can save a bit of cloning :wink:

Always diffuse flash for sure. IMHO thats a must for macro, you are right. Just those disk's are so awkward, I'm surprised they are in a macro kit to be honest, at those sizes. Yes well, your shots we can't argue with M8t :D. Hey I got a favour Charles. Remember you did a horizontal combined image of a subject, from above. Can you post that in the macro gallery Charles. I would like to see that again and so would many here that have not had the privilege of seeing it. :D

Anyway, all the best Sue and Charles.

Danny.