Paramecium bursaria, final moment of transverse fission

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Paramecium bursaria, final moment of transverse fission

Post by Charles Krebs »

These four panels show the "Christmas Paramecium" I posted the other day (http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... .php?t=834) at the final moment of reproducing by fission.

1) Gives an overview where it can be seen that the process is nearly complete.
2) Shows a closer detail at about the same stage as 1
3) The last moment. As the two organisms moved apart, the cell wall stretched sort of like taffy or silly putty
4) The connection suddenly "broke" and here you can see the points of connection as they move toward each organism. Within a second or two, these points were gone and the cell wall looked rounded and smooth.

2, 3, and 4 taken with 40X objective, 3.3X photo-eyepiece. Oblique bright-field with crossed polarizers. Canon 10D. Electronic flash. (1 taken with 20X)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Often I have wondered about this final phase of division. I have never been able to see it this clearly until now. Thanks Charlie :D 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Absolutely excellent work Charlie! I have to ask a dumb question. Was this the same paramecium you photographed a day or two ago? If so, how did you keep it alive and viewable under the microscope? The detail you captured is spectacular.

Steve

micron

Post by micron »

Hi Charlie,

You keep raising the bar - outstanding sequence - perfect timing!

All the best,
Ron

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Steve... It's the same one. These pictures were taken about 20-30 minutes after the one I posted originally. If you take another look at that one (http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... .php?t=834) you can see the division just barely starting. (As that eagle eye Ken pointed out :wink: )

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Absolutely super Charlie, I guess this is also cross polarisation being used and also flash?
Kenv
Ken