Help Me Get Started Please!

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

jai86

Help Me Get Started Please!

Post by jai86 »

Hey!

I am really interested in photomicrography as a hobby. I need help getting started with my first microscope.

I am planning to buy a LOMO trinocular soon. I know little about microscopes and cameras though. I also need to buy a new digital camera and so I'd be glad if any one can suggest a good digital camera that goes with LOMO trinocular and also what model to choose from the three: TMH4-BF - V, F and E

What else do I need to get started? I am ready to spend up to $1500 for a microscope including the camera. Please help. Thanks in advance. If you could suggest a better microscope (new), please reply.

- Jai :)

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Send an email from the OpticsPlanet website to customercare and mark it attn Mark Levitin who is the senior microscope engineer there - he knows what he's doing and is very helpful.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Glad to have you aboard, Jai :D

Everybody here knows I'm a fan of LOMO if you are looking to buy a new 'scope. KenV just bought a new LOMO with phase contrast. Check to see how he likes his. I would gat the model that has the sliding 23mm tubes (I forget the model number). I think it would be easier to make the camera parfocal with the viewing objectives. You might do as KenV suggested and email Mark Levitin at Optics Planet.

As far as cameras go, Steve West uses a Nikon 4500, Charles Krebs uses a Canon 10d, KenV uses a Rebel 300D, and I will soon be using a Canon G3. You might talk to each person to get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each camera to help you make up your mind.

You've come to the right place for help, Jai. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Post by Guest »

Thanks Tom and Ken for responding.

I will contact opticsplanet as Ken suggested.
Just wondering, is there any way to take pictures with the binocular model?

Thanks again.

- jai :)

jai86

Post by jai86 »

Sorry for the above message - forgot to log in

Thanks Tom and Ken for responding.

I will contact opticsplanet as Ken suggested.
Just wondering, is there any way to take pictures with the binocular model?

Thanks again.

- jai :)

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Jai :D

Some people do attach their camera to one of the binocular eyepieces but I find that to be very awkward, personally.

Best,
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!