Canon G5 Settings, Attn: Tom

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Canon G5 Settings, Attn: Tom

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Here is a cross section of an earthworm from a prepared slide. I use this slide a lot because of the fine detail. The following settings are the ones I used to take this photo. You should have the following settings on the G3 also in the Menu and Function selections on the camera. However there may be a different route to these on the G3 but I will assume you have them just the same. What was important for me was to get the ISO set to AUTO.

1. I have set on the camera, to Program (P)
2. On the Menu, I have set the following to OFF: Digital Zoom, AF
(Auto Focus), and AF Beam Assist (if you have one)
3. On the Function, I have selected Large and Fine and ISO to
Auto. Also on the Effects menu I selected Low Sharpening.
These settings should all be located in your camera. They will appear also in your software when you get it installed.

Now I went into Photo Impact and took that little round view you get and enlarged it to 100%. This filled the computer screen with the image. Then I cropped the section I wanted and decreased the brightness level and increased the contrast to where I wanted it. I also reduced the color intensity too. These were all done according to my preference. When you get the Canon software it will be a lot easier to do on it. One other thing is that I did not "sharpen" the image. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. As we play with these cameras and time goes by we will improve no doubt. I only found out, night before last that the ISO setting was my problem with previous photos. I had been using the default setting of ISO 50. As for my Kholer illumination and condenser diaphrams I set them to what looked good through the scope. Now you may want to experiment with these a little because it does have an effect on the overall image. The above photograph could be a lot sharper, I know, and it would look very much better. But, for a rookie like me it looks pretty good I think. I hope this helps you and any others who are using the G Series Canons. Let me know how it works out Tom. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Post by Guest »

hi ya' Ken :D

I've played around with these settings on my G3 for a couple of days now. Things work pretty good until I try the Auto White Balance. I have to turn my lamp intensity down considerably or I overload the CCD at full illumination. WOW :!: This causes my image to shift very red. Instead of Auto White Balance I set a custom white balance that gives me a better starting color balance. I keep chipping away at it, Ken. :D

Best regards as always, :D