Jasmine

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

pwiles1968

Jasmine

Post by pwiles1968 »

Panasonic FZ10 - ISO80 - F8 – ¼ second with Fill Flash – 432mm with Inverted Pentakon 50mm.

Ok this is my first attempt with this sort of thing in a long time, the Jasmine flower is about 25mm across and the head of the stamen is about 0.5mm, I think the DOF was less than the head this was done indoors to cold to stand around outside for that long :lol:

It is a bit of an experiment with inverted lenses and I have Muco respect for Danny after this :) , man you must have some patience chasing insects around with this kit, I think I may be chloroforming them myself come summer.
Paul - Everywhere you look there is something to see.
My Gallery It's not much but it's Mine.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

I am getting that dreaded red x instead of the image.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

Fixed - I was Uploading thought if I was quick no-one would notice :oops:.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Ok, so what, I live on this site :lol: . Actually it was just the luck of the draw.

Nice yellow and I think the DOF is fine. Yes, it is to cold to stand outside, at least here in Pennsylvania.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

This is great Paul. Gorgeous colours and comp at this ratio. EXCELLENT !!. Indoors is the only place to start with. Yep DOF is real fun huh :D . Very nice result here and a real slow speed there Paul. Noise removal becomes a must.

You will see from some of my info at the foot of some shots that I also use the aperture on the added lens as well. Yes it does increase DOF, I've tested that. Thats where the vignetting really comes in and also where the digital zoom we were talking about is used most. With the 100mm I can use F/8 on the FZ10 and using the 36x digital I can squeeze F/22 on the added Canon 100. Now for us, thats massive Paul. Also something most probably don't realise, shh don't tell them :D

The other thing you will find is that with the 50mm not reversed, you will get a slightly less ratio but the lens to subject distance will almost double. So if you can work that lens around to the other way, you will find it much easier to use IMHO. Just give it time with insects mate, ya gotta be stubborn and move slowly.

Anyway I'm getting carried away again, this is just great to see. 10 out of 10 Paul :D

Danny. Must 2 pm over there, 2am here Zzzzzzz

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

nzmacro wrote: Noise removal becomes a must.

You will see from some of my info at the foot of some shots that I also use the aperture on the added lens as well. Yes it does increase DOF, I've tested that. Thats where the vignetting really comes in and also where the digital zoom we were talking about is used most. With the 100mm I can use F/8 on the FZ10 and using the 36x digital I can squeeze F/22 on the added Canon 100. Now for us, thats massive Paul. Also something most probably don't realise, shh don't tell them :D

The other thing you will find is that with the 50mm not reversed, you will get a slightly less ratio but the lens to subject distance will almost double. So if you can work that lens around to the other way, you will find it much easier to use IMHO. Just give it time with insects mate, ya gotta be stubborn and move slowly.
Noise Removal - Do you think I needed some? or was that a general comment, I tried more flash for a slower speed but the image became blown out, I have ordered a reflector but home made ones will have to do for now.

I will have to try Changing the f-stop on the added lens it was left on 1.8 that was like looking down a tunnel at low zoom, to mount it I have wrapped a Velcro watch strap around the extra lens and shoved the whole lot inside the standard Panasonic adapter tube a bit Heath Robinson I know but it worked, I would not want to turn the lens round at the moment as it could touch the FZ lens if I push it too far

Does Focus do anything I put it to infinity as this seemed to give me the best/furthest subject to lens distance.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

No, noise removal was just in passing Paul. It does come in handy when we get subjects in the shade and if, we use digital zoom allot. So thats what I was meaning there mate.

The focus on the added lens won't do anything Paul.....well it does, but not a heck of a lot. You might see it on the tripod but not hand held. When we use a zoom lens, the zoom ring on the added lens does do the focusing as well as setting the ratio size, so we now have two things that set the ratio size, the zoom collar on the added lens and the zoom in the FZ10. You get used to it real quick.

Hey the velcro on the lens to build it up is very clever. Never thought about that Paul. I will be doing that :wink: , excellent idea and one I've been stuck on for awhile. Thanks for that.

Its looking real good Paul and you will get the hang of this real quick, just stay stubborn with it and it all becomes easy. :D

What else was I going to say....oh yeah. Are you using the IS on mode 1 or 2. Mine is set on mode 2 and of course manual focus.

Danny.

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

Last First I am using Mode 2, I was led to believe it gives the best results, I do not have too much of an issue with shaking hands as long as I keep up my daily allowance of Vodka :D so Framing is not an issue.

Thought I would add a couple of Pic’s of the Lens with the Watch Strap, Let me know if this is an issue with the forum guidelines I will delete them, but I have kept them small thought they may help

Lens and Strap-

Strap on the Lens-

Lens & Strap Deposited inside Adapter, No camera in the shot I sort of needed it to take the photo as the Z1 is in for repair-

You can see why I am hesitant to mount the lens the other way round lots of nice things to stick into the FZ lens :shock:

I was racking my brain to work out how to mount the lens, I was about to start reeling electrical tape onto the lens when I saw the strap, sometimes being an engineer comes in useful :wink:

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

In fact I'll move this one Paul over to the "Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions". It is interesting and other FZer's might find this useful as well. We are getting a few more :D

Small photos to explain things are fine Paul.

Interesting idea Paul and I will be using that, excellent idea. What the camera looks like does not worry me at all. Its what comes out that counts :D
Last edited by nzmacro on Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Very clever Paul. Heres what I've done to get over the levers protruding problem,

So we have a rear lens cap, the centre cut out and mounted to a filter thread. Now in my case that screws directly onto the front of the FZ10. I don't recommend that in case some have problems with it, its not my fault :D

In your case you could build that filter thread up so that its either a tight fit in the hood or you get it to the stage where you could screw that onto the 72mm thread on the hood.

Your velcro idea, I will be using for sure, thats darn simple and clever :D

Danny.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

NIce shot, and good discussion of the "technology" of reversing lenses!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)