Here is one I made earlier

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

pwiles1968

Here is one I made earlier

Post by pwiles1968 »

This is the milk carton flash diffuser I made yesterday that I used for the post Cats Eye's.

Most of our Milk Cartons are made of Plastic some of them are White, which is ideal for a diffuser, I cut the bottom off folded and taped the end so it roughly slots over the end of the flash. After taking the Cat’s Eyes shot I experimented a bit the pictures were coming out under exposed so I put aluminium tape inside and outside the top surface of the diffuser, the tape acts as a reflector directing light down, some shots are still a little under probably because I do not have TTL just the Flash auto sensor but they are better. Most of the light comes from the underside of the reflector so I think it will be good for top lighting macro subjects some more experimenting will tell.

Ok it look’s a little rough :roll: I prefer to think of it as functional :D
Paul - Everywhere you look there is something to see.
My Gallery It's not much but it's Mine.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Don't care what it looks like Paul, the image tells the story. Very clever mate. I use white acrylic over the flash heads and sometimes (more often than not) just white printing paper held on with rubber bands. A plastic white ice cream container works well. I cut some of that in a ring shape with a hole in the centre, then that goes on the front of the ring flash when its used, mainly on the Sony.

All the best Paul, clever and simple is often the best IMHO. :D

Danny.

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

Tissues and rubber bands also work wonders.
Paul - Everywhere you look there is something to see.
My Gallery It's not much but it's Mine.