For Tom

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

For Tom

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tom, you asked me earlier if I had any trouble centering the image in the camera - and I said no. Well! I only centered in the once by moving the microscope about and expected that it would just stay that way, I just tried taking some photos and found the it was way out so I had to do the whole job again. It left me wondering if once having got the microscope in position should I drill some holes through the wooden base and screw the dashed thing down? I wonder if changing temperature could affect it and maybe if I screw it down I could come a cropper? I would appreciate your views.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ken :D

If the microscope fits very snuggly in the wooden base then I think you could screw it down very carefully. I don't think there would be enough contraction/swelling to cause misalignment problems unless you live in a very, very humid area. Just be careful you don't shift the board off alignment when you drill the holes for the screws.

May I ask a question about the focusing mechanism? What moves when you turn the coarse focusing knobs? Does the whole arm of the microscope move up and down? When you turn the fine focus ring does the specimen stage move up and down? Or, do both the coarse and the fine focus knobs move just the specimen stage?

Best regards as always, mate :!: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Tom, when you turn the coarse focussing knobs the entire arm moves up and down - I'm pretty sure that this also goes for the fine focus but pretty hard to see because the movement is so small.
Tom the microscope itself is screwed to a wooden base which is sat at the wooden base of the enlarger - what I was thinking of doing was screwing the microscope's wooden base down onto the enlargers wooden base because I think it shifts a bit during use.
Have a look http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=1020
Ken
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ken :D

OK. I think it would be OK to screw the wooden base to the enlarger stand baseboard. Just do it carefully so it doesn't shift. I couldn't tell from the picture if the microscope was screwed to the wood base or not. It wouldn't do any good to screw the wood base to the enlarger stand if the microscope shifted on the wood base. :wink:

Thanks for the focusing information. I may have to re-think about getting a LOMO stand. I'm not sure that style of focusing will work well with my setup.

Best regards, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Hi Tom, the wooden base which comes with the microscope is screwed on from the bottom - you have to turn the scope on its side and the screws (supplied) fit into ready made holes in the metal base of the scope. The metal base has four soft sticky plastic pieces on each corner which virtually sticks to the wooden base so it just doesn't move on there.
Best Regards Kenv
Ken