Scale Bars

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

micron

Scale Bars

Post by micron »

This image illustrates a relatively easy way to insert a scale bar on your image. First you need to image your stage micrometer for each objective (the subject image includes the Optovar magnification which has three settings). Next add a line and text on each scale bar image. Finally copy the respective scale bars and text onto a blank “master scale” image set to your standard image size. I have used white on black (gray scale and negative image option in Paint Shop Pro). To insert a scale bar in your image simply copy the correct one from the master and paste on to your image.

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Ron,

This is essentially the way I do it too. I bought an air force test target from Edmunds which goes down to Group 7 which has bars small enough even for high power oil objectives.

If you have to resize the image drastically, you don't really want the text in your scale setup as it gets too small to read. Most of the time this isn't a problem though.

Also, you really need sets vs. camera zoom, but I try to keep the camera zoom nearly constant for most work.

Once you go to the trouble of setting this scale image up, it's amazing how convenient the process is 8)

On a slightly related topic, having your photo signature in this file is convenient too. How do poeple get the copyright symbol??

Steve

micron

Post by micron »

Opps forgot about the zoom factor ':)' - it does vary in my case, usually I zoom between 60-80% which I figure is an acceptable variation (the scale is at 70%). I think the issue of copyright for images can be covered with a signature alone. However it is not too difficult to remove these.

Tom I see you have moved this - was not thinking when I posted!

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

micron wrote:However it is not too difficult to remove these.
I guess they say that you really should put a large water mark across the whole image at some acceptable transparency, but that always seemed like a distracting bother.

Luckily, my photos aren't good enough to worry much about this :)

Steve

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ron :D

Not a problem moving this topic. We all have our moments. :D

Regarding copyrights...Your images are copyrighted the moment you push the shutter button. You do not need to have a copyright notice on the image as a claim to copyrights. The copyright notice is only necessary if you file an actual copyright registration with the Library of Congress. The only advantage to filing a copyright registration is that it will allow you to sue for punitive damages above and beyond a cease and desist order and reparations for actual monetary damages. The copyright registration must be done in advance of the infringement to be able to recover punitive damages.

In most copyright infringement cases the only necessary action is a cease and desist order or, at the most, reparartions of actual monetary damages. To stop a copyright infringement in these circumstances you only need to prove that you are the creator of the image.

Probably more than y'all wanted to know about copyrights. :D Oh, and to make the copyright symbol, ©, hold down the "Alt" key and type "0169" on the numeric key pad. :D

Best regards to all, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!