Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from the "Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.com website.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Chien

Symbiotic Relationship - Aphids and Ants

Post by Charles Chien »

D30, MP-E 65 f2.8 with 12mm extension tube at around 5x, lighted with two flashes, 1/250 sec. at f16. Setup on a tripod. Sharpened and resized. No cropping.

This is an old one that was taken in July 2002. It's one that I felt so lucky to encounter, but unfortunately, I have not seen such a scene since... I will, of course, keep searching.

What follow are the comments I had at the time... When I realized that there were flocks of aphids on a stem of grass yesterday, I had been trying to get a shot of an ant picking up a droplet from an aphid since. I spent quite a few hours and got about 8 shots of such yesterday, but not with the perspective that I wanted. Tonight when I got home from work, I set it up, but unfortunately the aphids were all facing far from the "right" direction to the camera, and I was not able to get any good shot. One of the aphid, next to the big one in this photo, left. This one, originally facing the camera, turned side-way just as it is shown. I was so happy, and could almost visualize this shot. A few minutes later, this ant came along and "drummed" the body of the aphid with its antennae, and this aphid raised its behind, and I pressed the shutter!!!
Charles Chien

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Charles,

Excellent shot. Sometimes the patience required is extremely frustrating, but eventually, it pays off.

Somehow, it doesn't look too apetizing :?

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Great photograph there Charles and a very informative one too. I recently read an article on what you have captured. It seems that the ants actually take care of the aphids for that particular reason. The secretions from the aphids are loaded with glucose, I believe, anyway it is supposed to be sweet, so the ants and the aphids as you mentioned have a symbiotic relationship. Once again an excellent photograph with outstanding clarity and comp. 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Well your work is just amazing M8t. I saw a shot of an ant milking an aphid the other day, opened up the post and it was from so far back, you couldn't really see it.

This is amazing Charles. your entire ant series is something to see, just incredible work IMO. The sharp details and the ratio show us exactly what is going on in this shot. You just post as many of your old shots as you like M8t, they are extraordinary Charles. Always loved you work.

All the very best M8t, a pleasure to see you here my friend :D

Danny.

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

Interesting behavior and great capture of the interactions. As the saying goes - " it pays to be patience" and it sure did with this image.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Charles :D

This is a terrific image. Such wonderful behavior few get to see. That is why your image was chosen for the December/January Administrator's Appreciation image. Great job :!: :D

Best regards as always, my friend :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

:D Congrats Charles, looks great on the cover. Excellent job!! 8)
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

Charles Chien

THANK YOU!!!

Post by Charles Chien »

Thank you, Tom and staff, for the great honor. And, thanks for you all of your support. Hopefully I will run into scenes like this one again! :wink:

Have a great holiday season!!!

Sincerely,
Charles Chien
Charles Chien

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

You are more than welcome M8t. Its us who should be thanking you Charles. Your macro work is nothing short of superb !!!. Always so interesting and you always show excellent behaviour shots.

All the very best to you and your family over christmas my friend. :D

Danny.

MikeBinOKlahoma

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

This is awesome. I'm going to have to try to get one like this in 2005. I hope I can come close to pulling it off this well! The DOF seems endless!
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

S. Alden
Site Admin

Post by S. Alden »

A most deserving image for the pick. Beautifully done and gives me something to attempt..when the ants come back.
Sue Alden
Administrator
Repost of my images are welcome

mstolting

Post by mstolting »

I remember this one (or one very closely resembling it by you) Charles. It's as fascinating and as impressive now as it was a few years ago! I sure hope I get some behavior shots that are half as well executed as is this one before I return to dust.
Mike Stolting
Michael