Is this windy?

Danny, Michael, and I (Tom) couldn't be happier and more impressed with our members and friends! It would be wonderful if we all got to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself. We are looking forward to meeting you all!

Moderators: nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

MikeBinOKlahoma

Is this windy?

Post by MikeBinOKlahoma »

I got up three times at an ungawdly hour to spend ninety minutes driving up Mount Haleakula in the dark to watch the sunrise from there. During one of them, I turned the camera in the opposite direction, and photographed myself. As you can see, it was very cold, very windy, and I needed a shave very badly! :) You can also see the tourists behind me clutching blankets around them, and one guy in shorts :shock: . I was offered $100 for my parka one morning, but didn't take it. Close by on the right, you can see the Visitor Center. In the distance on the left, you can see the astronomical observatory that's on the summit--For a very cool photo of the observatory, check out the "man and nature" forum on NSN.

As for me, I work in Oklahoma's state environmental agency. When not doing travel or nature photography, that is! I'm single, and live in downtown Oklahoma City so that I have a four minute walk to work each morning. But it stinks for nature photography. If you ever see a tv documentary about the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, you'll see where I live--A tall ugly gray building with balconies in the background of many of the shots. I didn't live here at the time of the bombing, thank goodness (though I was about a mile away, heard it, and saw much more than I wanted of the aftermath. :-(

Besides weird bugs (heh heh), nature, and travel, My interests include reading a lot. Mostly history, science, and some science fiction.

16-35mm lens @ 16mm
Tripod mount
.3 seconds @ f/4 <!>
ISO 160 (I should have cranked up the ISO)
Mike Broderick

(reposts on this site of my images for critique or instruction are welcome)

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Well you've certainly captured the atmosphere of the cold and wind, I hope the view was worth it Mike.
Kenv
Ken

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Hi Mike,

Good to see you! It looks like sunrise on the mountain is popular! I used to work on mountain tops for about 9 years in astronomy. I saw a lot of mountain sunsets and sunrises (with no sleep in between!).

My favorite times near sunset and sunrise are when there are clouds in the sky. I have a website of weather phenomena that I have photographed (mostly near sunrise and sunset) from these mountaintops.

It's a real treat to view sunrise and sunset from atop a high place. For some reason, it looks so different. I guess it's because you get above all the gunk in the atmosphere!!

Anyhoo, the weather photos I have taken are at:

http://www.mmto.org/~swest/atmo/atmo.html

Steve (who's seen too many early/late sun events, but still revels in the wonder of them)

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well Mike you may need a shave but you're warm and that is what counts. I have often heard that it does get quite cold in Hawaii and sometimes snows in the mountains. Most people think that it is always sunny and warm all over there and for the most part is guess it is, except in the high mountian areas. Great self portrait there. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Just look at those rosy cheeks and...nose :!: :D :!:
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!