Long lived bacteria

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

Long lived bacteria

Post by Kenv »

I saw an article in our daily newspaper today about a place called Fox in Alaska. They were cutting into a piece of permafrost which was 30,000 years old. There was a brown area in the ice and one guy melted it and had a look under the microscope. The brown area was bacteria which, when melted, were swimming around, apparently unhurt after 30,000 years in ice.
Kenv
Ken

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' Ken :D

I thought this was pretty amazing, too. Here's a link to an article on CNN, http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/02 ... index.html. I told my wife that stock I bought in a cryogenics lab would pay off someday. 30,000 years ago the bacteria froze and came back to life. Tomorrow it will be people :!: :shock: :D

Thanks for sharing this, Ken. :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

That was an interesting article Tom and thanks Ken for bringing it to our attention. I wonder what the bacteria looked like? To me bacteria is either round, long (rod shaped), or spiral (squiggley). The proper terms for these elude me at the moment, it is 5:30AM and I am just waking up (yawn). Coffee anyone? :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.