Synura colony

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Synura colony

Post by Charles Krebs »

Looks like my ponds has come to life again. Hit the low 70's today and a sample jar yielded lots of goodies, some of which I have not seen before.

Synura I have seen before, but it's a tough one to photograph... but there were lots of them so I thought I'd take a crack at it. It's a spherical colony that rolls and moves constantly. Adequate depth-of- field is nearly impossible to obtain. You see lots of shots where they are crushed flat by the cover slip, which lets you photograph them but doesn't look very natural. Here the cover slip is just barely starting to flatten the colony, so while there is lots that is out of focus, enough individuals are pressed against the cover glass to get a good look at them and still appear as a spherical colony (or at least circular).

Each individual has two flagella and two (gold colored) chloroplasts.

Zeiss 63X objective, 3.3X photoeyepiece Canon 10D.

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Beautiful image Charlie with great detail--esp of the gold structures. Neat little colony.

Steve

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Spectacular Charlie. You got the colony to present itself perfectly.
Which 63X zeiss did you use, the 63 / 1.4?
--David

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

David.. not quite that exotic. It's actually a dry 63/0.95 Apo with correction collar. Pretty sensitive to the correction needed but if you get it right it makes a pretty good image.