Coleps, final stages of binary fission

Post your images made through a compound microscope or made with a stereo/dissecting microscope in this gallery. Images may be of any subject natural or unnatural, living or non-living.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Charles Krebs

Coleps, final stages of binary fission

Post by Charles Krebs »

I've watched this interesting process several times now, and wondered why the two individuals seemed to stay "nose-to-nose" for quite a long time after it appeared the fission process was completed. Today I saw why... it's obvious in the lower picture.

The top photo was taken about 12 minutes after I first noticed the fission occuring. The lower photo was taken 11 minutes after the top photo. After I took the lower picture, they remained connected in a mini tug-of-war for another 11 minutes before they became completely separated.

63X objective, 2.5X photoeyepiece. Canon 10D. Brightfield with electronic flash.

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Charlie--

That's just a spectacular shot. I wonder what that final connecting strand would show under phase.

David

lacerta

Post by lacerta »

Fascinating ! But what is that connecting strand?? Following cytokinesis there should be two identical and separate individual cells. Does this indicate an incomplete stage of separation, or is there some sort of cytoplasmic transfer going on between the two individuals?
George

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

George... I"m not sure. I've seen something very similar in P. bursaria and was able to get a few pictures. Posted one a while back:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... .php?t=857

Garry DeLong

Post by Garry DeLong »

I've noticed such tardy seperation several times myself. Even though the daughter cells appear clearly seperated, continued movement of the two cells together for a few seconds seems to indicate a tiny connection that still briefly exists.
Garry DeLong