Stage Micrometer

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

Kenv

Stage Micrometer

Post by Kenv »

Does one really need a stage micrometer? I would like to get some idea of the size of a subject but the cost of a good stage micrometer is horrendous. Is there anyway of estimating the size without one?
Cheers Kenv
Ken

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Send me your address off-list - I have a spare.
Graham

Steve West

Post by Steve West »

Ken,

I bought an air force test pattern from Edmund scientific. I recall it was about $100. It has 3-bar length scales at a variety of scales. I photograph various bar-scales and get my length calibrations from that. The one I got goes down to group 7 which is plenty small even for hi power objectives.

Steve

BobT

Re stage micrometer

Post by BobT »

Hi Kenv,

Here are some much cheaper alternatives: Among several good articles on measurement on the MicScape site <http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html>, two of the best are W. Dioni, "About microscopes, measurements and meters" and J. Cavanihac, "Introduction to Quantitative Microscopy".

Also, I came across a transparent plastic stage micrometer for only $12.95 at Ward Scientific <http://www.wardsci.com/product.asp_Q_pn ... Micrometer>.

Granted, none of these methods will give you extreme accuracy, but for my purposes the first two techniques work just fine. BTW, should you purchase the plastic micrometer from Wards, I'd be curious to know how well it works!

piotr

Post by piotr »

Ken,

I own the Ward's micrometer that Bob mentioned. It is not plastic, though. It's printed on a regular glass slide, protected with a coverslip, and it looks very nice. It's difficult to say how accurate it is, but I believe it's good enough for me (0.01 and 0.1 mm divisions).

Piotr
Piotr

Kenv

Post by Kenv »

Thanks for your information guys - I am now equipped with one.
Kenv
Ken