How about a chat room?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: MacroMike, nzmacro, Ken Ramos, twebster, S. Alden

How about a chat room?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 am

Yes! A chat room would be great! :-)
100%
No! I couldn't control myself! ;-)
No votes

Total votes: 9

twebster
Site Admin

How about a chat room?

Post by twebster »

Hi ya' gang :D

We've been discussing lately how well everybody gets along in our community. This is the first online community in which we have never heard a single cross word between members. Because of this we thought it might be beneficial to us all if we had a chat room so that members could communicate with each other in "real time".

Of course, the same rules regarding friendly discourse in our forums would apply to the chat room, too. Also, the chat room would be un-moderated so it would be up to the community members to self-police your comments and subjects.

So, "Whadda ya' say?", is this something in which you all would like to participate? Take the poll and let us know. :D
Last edited by twebster on Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Webster
Administrator

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

Think about this...maybe Murphy is an optimist!!!

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I think it would be a good idea Tom. Although I have never participated in such a thing before, it would be new, interesting, and fun for me. :D
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

nzmacro
Site Admin

Post by nzmacro »

Yeah I say go for it of course. We are very lucky with who we have, not something that can really work on quite a few sites. Makes a pleasure when I get on here to be honest :D Registered members of course, no guests.

It might show up how slow my typing is though and how bad my spellllunking tis and me grummer. :D

All the best and lets just try it. We can always take it off if it doesn't work, not a problem. Thanks Tom for the idea and work M8t. :wink:

Danny.

pwiles1968

Post by pwiles1968 »

A chat room would be good especially for discussing technique etc although for me when I am on most other people would be at work or in bed :lol:
Paul - Everywhere you look there is something to see.
My Gallery It's not much but it's Mine.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi gang :D

OK, so far no dissenting votes. That's a good sign :!: :D There are a couple of chat room programs I am looking at, at the moment, determining which one will integrate best with our bulletin board. I'll try to get one or the other installed over the next couple of weeks. The chat room will be an open and unmoderated chat room. Most likely you'll sign on with your current user IDs. More details to come later. :D

Best regards to all as always, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Post by Guest »

Hi Tom

Just wondering if when you decide on a chat program, you might want to select one that has video conferencing functions. I'm thinking that someone could hook up a camera to a scope and we could see a member working their scope live.

Frez

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Frez :!: :!:

Since when do you sign in as a guest :?: :!: :D Another senior moment, huh :?: :D

I think I'm just going to install a simple php based chat program first. See how people treat each other in the chat room. I have all the faith in the world that our current members would be just fine with each other but I want to run a program that would be easy to remove if we were to get a bunch of members that create problems. If that were to happen I would probably look for a more highly controllable chat program and then we could add video conferencing, etc.

Sound cool :?: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Hey vidio confrenceing would be great. :D Beware the Macro side of the house though. Them folks over there are really proud of them there butt shots. :shock: :wink:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy
Reposts of my images within the galleries are welcome, as are constructive critical critiques.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

:D :D Ken :D :D

I hadn't considered that. Maybe we'll hold off on the video-conferencing a little longer...(][)... :shock: :D
Tom Webster
Administrator

Frez

Post by Frez »

Frez

Since when do you sign in as a guest Another senior moment, huh
Oh yeah, I neglected to sign in. :oops:
Would you setup two rooms...one for macro and another for micro? If chat room times are established, like twice per week, we'd have to try and use times when most of the members are awake because of differing time zones. The chat room could also be open 24/7 and anyone could start a chat. One should be able to leave the room open in a separate window waiting to hear a voice.

Just some thoughts
Frez

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

I've been hearing "voices" since 71 Frez....... :shock:
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Frez

Post by Frez »

Ken Ramos
Site Admin

Post by Ken Ramos »

Yep, that's it :(
Site Admin.
Kenneth Ramos
Kens Microscopy

Frez

Post by Frez »

That one's around a lot here too.

twebster
Site Admin

Post by twebster »

Hi y'all :D

My intentions are to have a 24/7 chat room. You'll be able to pop in and out whenever. If you see someone online you want to talk to, you can send a private message to that person and "meet" in the chat room. I figured to have the photomacrographers and the photomicrographers mingle. There will also be the ability to set up private chat rooms, too. Yes, it will open in another window so you can peek in and out of the chat room. Should be fun, folks. :D

Best regards to all, :D
Tom Webster
Administrator